Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Monogamy is growing on me

Monogamy and crochet - an unlikely pairing.

Right now I am a monogamous crocheter.  Not because I love crocheting, or because I am super good at it.  I am monogamous to this technique so I finish a promised Lacy Cardi Wrap for my daughter.  Monogamy is the only way that will happen, I fear.


I will say that this darn project tests my needlework resolve.  If you don't count the 4 times I ripped out my work and started over, and the 3 times I set it aside so I could complete knitting a sweater, and the 5 wash clothes I just HAD to make because my wash cloth stack was a little low, and the learning to weave (6 scarves, 2 table runners, and joining a weaving club) ... if you don't count all those things .... I am making great progress in crochet!!

An early false start.
I am, however, getting more skilled.  I don't need to use those jumbo eye glass magnifiers any more to see my work or aim an intense light on the stitches so I can see what the heck I am doing. Nope, when I crochet I can honestly say I look competent, comfortable, skilled, confident.  I can actually carry on a conversation while I crochet (talking mostly to myself, swearing, making faces, questioning my sanity, but heck, it is still a conversation!)  Just 6 weeks ago I could hardly breath and crochet at the same time.  Progress.

Of course, there are a few sniggly little details I haven't shared.
  • I still can't read that stupid crochet pattern worth a darn.  I have been told it is written poorly, so that is my story now. Not my fault. 
  • And I only know how to make 3 stitches because the body of the piece is just a repeat over and over again of 3 stitches.  There are some lacy parts coming up, but I'll panic when I get there. 
  • And counting all the way up to 5 seems to be a unexpected problem. The repeated stitch that forms the body of the project requires 5 stitch repeats. Just 5.  But sometimes I have 6.  Sometimes I have 4. *sigh*. I wonder if they will take back my college degree if I can't count to 5 consistently!!
But ... on the up side ...

I think I have gotten past the "totally ignorant beyond measure" stage as a new crocheter, and I am rapidly approaching "absolute swearing-fool beginner" stage!  Yeah!

I am not giving up my knitting needles any time soon, my spinning wheel is really annoyed to be idle,  my empty loom keeps calling my name, and I am purchasing a larger loom in October because I am totally hooked on weaving, but this crochet thing just may be a possibility in the future - after I finish this first project.

Like maybe this project for me!!  I aught to be able to count to 5 by then.
My next crochet pattern?
Current status on the wrap for my daughter.
I think this crochet thing is growing on me.


Maybe monogamy counts for something!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your success so far...when it comes to making a garment out of woolly string I am all thumbs.

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

some projects are worse than others, aren't they? I think the wrap for your girl looks wonderful. I laughed at your rip-outs and talking to yourself! Sounds like me at times. But, there is something to be said for finishing a project. You go girl!

MrsOhOh7 said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I commend you for not giving up! I am an avid crocheter and my cardi wrap is still in the bag. Yes, I agree the pattern is not written very well, but yours looks great. Almost makes me want to unbury mine :)