Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Visiting on the Farmhouse Porch



Everyday Ruralty


Oh . my . God!
  Is it Tuesday again?
  Wasn't it Tuesday just yesterday?


(gets up and checks the paper calendar on the wall)

Ok, guess not!

Time once again to visit on the farmhouse porch - the porch of Everyday Ruralty.


Questions

When it's time to cut the grass (mow the lawn), who does it?
Ha!!  We have no lawn.  Problem fixed.  When we moved here we decided to cover the front yard with landscaping and mulch.  The back yard is a brick patio and mulch.  No pesky grass.  I should note, however, that we have a stamp size front and back yard since we live in a townhouse community. :-) Our "fix" wouldn't work for most people.  We are very happy NOT being large land owners.  

If someone gave you $500 dollars, and you could not spend it on yourself, who would you spend it on?
I would spend it on my mom who currently lives in Assisted Living.  It would pay for only 2 days of care but I can't think of another person who deserves (and needs) my help more in that regard.  Her life was never flush with assets.  She saved and led a frugal life, and now we are blowing through that savings with breath taking speed for her Assisted Living.  It makes me sad.  She lived with me for 5 years prior to being admitted to Assisted Living.  You can find our story together on my blog at Through My Caregiver Eyes label.  My experience was not a traditional "sandwich generation" story ... my kids were grown and on their own, but my life with mom mirrors many of the struggles that others have faced.  

Have you ever taken a blogging break or considered one?
Funny you should ask.  I just came off a considerable blogging break (about 2 months).  Blogging breaks sort of catch me by surprise.  I don't know they are coming.  All of a sudden I notice that it has been a week, then two, and before I know it an official break from blogging has occurred.  This last break was the longest.  I couldn't get in gear to write even one word, although ideas would pop up in my head, and I would say to myself ... yes, I should blog about that ... and then I wouldn't.  I am back now but never say never with regards to blogging breaks.

Are you bothered by spring allergies or hay fever? If not spring, any other time of the year?
Yes, year round, in door and out door!  And if I could be more compliant in taking my allergy meds, my life would be more peaceful.  

What's new with you?
Nothing. I lead a very busy but boring life.   

All I can say at this point is ... tomorrow better not be TUESDAY!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow WON'T be Tuesday but it may feel like it lol.

Anonymous said...

We have probably about 3 acres to mow (of the 15 we own). I love where we live, but not the yardwork. Luckily my husband usually takes over it (although I used to do quite a bit of it). It is Tuesday, isn't it? :)
~Laura

Sherri said...

I think I'm going through the blogging break thing...I have a lot going on, but I still get ideas, say I'll blog about that, & then don't. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who goes through that. Have a blessed week :O)

Becky G said...

I have a very boring life, too. You are not alone!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

it looks like a lot of folks in this group are going to take a blog break. nuts!! this bloggy world would miss you guys. you have to blog for you. i will say that forever & ever. do what makes you happy. if you enjoy it do it ... if not move on. keep yourself happy & health. it's all good. no worries. ( :

Lynne said...

I could probably enjoy a mow free space but I would miss riding round on my tractor. No doubt that day will happen though . . .

Leslie said...

I mowed for the first 20 years of our marriage, now it is the Farmer's turn.

Patrice said...

It really WAS Tuesday. (: Sounds like you have bad allergies like mine. The hay fever is only in the spring. Isn't it amazing how much elder care costs? We are dealing with visiting nurses for my MIL. It's like money is being vacuumed up- woosh!Gone!We had neighbors growing up. The man and his wife were very frugal and scrimped and saved. They were going to try to enjoy retirement. She ended up with bad dementia and all their savings went to her care. They never fulfilled their dream. It makes me sad to think about that, but it also serves as a warning to me to carve out some fun when you can.Hubby and I tend to be workhorses. I hope you have a good week!

happyone said...

I'll be back to mowing lawn again at the new house, but it comes with a riding mower so I'll have fun whipping around the yard on my mower. : )

Noofy said...

Another allergy sufferer here. Mine is mostly in the spring and fall. Just a reminder, Tuesday is coming...again.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I'm like you...TUESDAY ALREADY...and it'll be here tomorrow again! There's a time suck in the universe and I'm behind. Loved reading your answers though.