Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Today is special

Today is a special day for me.

Linda - left
Elaine (me) - right
This is the day that my dear cousin Linda was born.

For all you folks out there who have large extended families, who get together regularly at holidays or  family reunions, who live near to each other and share the fun things of life together,  ... for all you folks out there ... you need to know that not everyone is a lucky as you.

As children Linda and I enjoyed playing together.  We were friends.  Our parents were related (our fathers were brothers) and had been close.  Her father was my God Father.  Growing up I was several hundred miles away from my cousins.  Somewhere along the years, family issues separated us.  We continued to grow and change, but separately.  As adults, that cousin relationship seemed lost forever.

Then one miraculous day, the distance and years seemed to disappear.  The story and pictures of our reunion thanks to my sister can be found here at this link.  Joy, love and companionship has grown from that reunion and it still remains a miracle in my mind.  We lost probably 40 years of sharing in each other lives, but we are once again loving family and friends.  We are living the life now we were meant to live so many years ago.

 It was meant to be!
 Things that are meant to be cannot be deterred.

Happy Birthday, my dear cousin. 
You are much loved! 
May we continue to build many wonderful memories together going forward.  

14 comments:

Hindustanka said...

Happy birthday to Linda! It is so good to know you still have that bond.. you know living together doesn't necessarily make people closer to each other. The main thing is to remain friends and relatives even through the distance :)
Have a wonderful day!!!
Anna

Carolyn said...

Happy Birthday, Linda! You are lucky to be friends and spend your time together now. I grew up with many cousins in my life and some were very nearby. I also have two sisters, who now live hundreds of miles away. I think that you are very lucky, now, to have each other and to share time together as well as your common interests. Enjoy the day!

Anonymous said...

I know what having a family pulled apart feels like. I'm so happy you have each other back in your lives.

Lynne said...

Happy Birthday Linda . . . enjoy these "together again" days!

Happy you are enjoying these BEST TIMES EVER Elaine with your dear cousin . . .

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Linda! What a wonderful story. Don't worry about time lost, but make the most of time spent together. Cherish every moment.
-Laura

Paula said...

I have a very similar story with my cousin Calvin. We are now best friends. He still lives 4 hours away but we talk several times a week. And he just spent three days here. Happy Birthday to Linda!

Linda said...

Thank you so much Elaine! What a lovely post - I can't believe we weren't in contact for so long. I couldn't imagine not having you in my life now!

Linda said...

Thank you Anna - even at our first meeting after 40 years I felt that bond immediately. It is a wonderful day and I have so much to be thankful for!
Linda

Linda said...

Thank you, I do feel very lucky!

Linda said...

It was such an exiting and happy time when we connected again - miraculous!

Linda said...

Thank you Lynne, we do enjoy our times together!

Linda said...

Thank you Laura! Our relationship and time together is special to me, I do cherish every moment!

Linda said...

Thank you Paula! I am happy for you and your cousin Calvin. As Elaine said, some things are just meant to be.

Laurie said...

I have a cousin like that.....her name is Terri. So glad you found each other again!