Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

How do people get this smart?

I visit a number of blogs that use quotes as part of the postings.  I always enjoy reading them.  But on occasion, I read something that  makes me pause.  Here are a few that I thought worth passing on.  What do you think?



"Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill
Here is a man I admire greatly.  He really did "walk his talk."  I believe greatness exists within each person but is often hidden or not tested.  For Mr. Churchill, he was tested on the world stage with his country's future hanging in the balance.  I bow to such greatness.



"When you are going through something hard and wonder where God is, remember, 
the teacher is always quiet during the test."
    Unknown
This quote speaks to me personally.  I have felt exactly this emotion in caring for my mom.  I still feel it now at times, but the real test was the last few years of my mom living with me.  I hope God was paying attention then and recognizes that I did the very best I could during the hardest test of my life.


This last quote is a bit long and there is some controversy as to its source.  But regardless of its authorship,  it is worth a read.
"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:
  • From bondage to spiritual faith;
  • From spiritual faith to great courage;
  • From courage to liberty;
  • From liberty to abundance;
  • From abundance to complacency;
  • From complacency to apathy;
  • From apathy to dependence;
  • From dependence back into bondage."
Alexander Fraser Tytler, 
Scottish Born British Lawyer and Writer 1747-1813

Ok - if that last quote/thought/reference (whatever) doesn't scare you a little bit, then you haven't been paying attention to what is happening in our own "great civilization." 

Hmmm.....

4 comments:

Paula said...

Beautiful post. That second quote speaks loudly to me as well. I know that God is with me! I know that he is testing me and is quiet while I take the test. But I feel his hand when my moments are darkest. And you are right about that last one....scary as hell!

Anonymous said...

Wow that last one is scary. I look around and worry so I have to find positive things to not get overwhelmed. I hope we can salvage a true democracy when all is said and done.

Linda said...

Enthusiasm and persistence are both undervalued as like skills - love that Winston Churchill quote!

SusieCraft said...

I think our country's best days aren't behind us but ahead of us!