Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, June 20, 2016

My Life List - Monday, June 20

I am joining the blog Smidgens, Snippets and Bits in sharing "My Life List."

What am I thankful for ...
My daughter turns 40 years old this week.  40!!  I have always had more trouble with my kids birthdays than my own.  But I am so thankful to have lived this long a life to see them grow up to be strong and successful adults.  They make me thankful and proud.

Discovery time ....
I am taking care of my son and daughter-in-law's two dogs this week while they are on a cruise.  I discovered that I can go to sleep around 10:00 am and get up rested at 5:30 am - the dog's normal rise and shine time.  And they are so chipper at 5:30 am.  Me ... not so much.

Outside my window ...
It is heating up this week.  We are at the beginning of summer and things will be getting hotter and more sticky.  After all, I live in Maryland, the capital of the world for humid heat, other than the tropics, and maybe Florida (ha!).  Air conditioning is such a wonderful humane invention!

Inside my window ...
My days are busy busy busy with a puppy who is only partially potty trained.  I am beginning to read his body language well enough inside so I can get him outside in time.  But this potty training of a puppy is hard work!

What I am learning ...
Nothing this week! Ha.  I guess my 'smart container' is all full up.  :-)  Famous last words.

What I am reading ....
I am reading on my Kindle an absolutely wonderful book called Olivia, Mourning by Yael Politis.  I am about 50% into the story and it is very very good.  Here is the book description offered by the publisher.

Historical Fiction.  Olivia wants the 80 acres in far off Michigan that her father left to whichever of his offspring wants to stake a claim.  The problem: she's seventeen, female, and it's 1841.  Mourning Free knows how to run a farm and Olivia has complete trust in him.  The problem: he's the orphaned son of runaway slaves and reluctant to travel and work with a white girl.  Not without qualms, they set off together.  All goes well, despite the drudgery of survival in an isolated log cabin.  Strong willed, vulnerable, and compassionate, Olivia is a compelling protagonist on a journey to find a way to do the right thing in a world in which so much is wrong.

I generally do not enjoy historical fiction, but I do enjoy stories of survival in circumstances that are beyond my experience.  This is Book 1 in a trilogy and I am planning on picking up Book 2.

What am I watching on TV ...
I have started watching Nurse Jackie on Netflix.  I am into season 3.  I enjoy medical shows but for some reason I kept passing over this one until I ran out of other options.  It is really very good.  It took me a few episodes to get hooked, but now I am loving all the shows.  It is the story of an emergency room nurse who does everything she can to provide her patients with the best care possible while navigating the waters of a crumbling health-care system.  But she has a secret that is increasingly difficult to keep from people - she relies on Vicodin and Adderall to get her through high-stress sifts at a New York hospital.

What am I creating ...
This section should be called what I have created.  Here it is.




What I am pondering ...
How long will it take for my hair to grow back?  My hairdresser's shop closed suddenly, and I was unable to reach her for about a week.  So I went to a local uni-sex barber shop - and oh my - did I get chopped.  So short.  I will say it is cooler this way.  But I prefer a bit more hair on my head.  I am scheduled for an appointment with my regular hairdresser later in the summer, but I am hoping what little I have grows back in enough for that visit.

A quote I quote ...
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
  If you can't eat it or play with it,
 just pee on it and walk away.

My week - a Peek ...
Dogs, dogs and more dogs.  And more 5:30 am mornings!  Glad it is at least light outside when we open the door.

What keeps me awake at night ....
My hips and my bladder.  I sure am tired of it.  Does anyone know where I can get some replacement parts?

Word of the Year ... Move!
I am sure falling short on my 'move' goals.  More on that another time.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Nice to have a little visit with you Monday morning, sounds like Rags is keeping you busy! I will have to check out that book, I do enjoy historical fiction.

Retired Knitter said...

Oh my, yes. Rags is running me ragged. The potty training is hit or miss. I finally decided to put down a crib mat on the floor in the corner that he 'favors' because he seems to hit that spot even after a walk. Frustrating. And this morning I was up at 4:00 am because they got confused when I got up to pee - and they thought it was 5:30 am - when they usually get up. And Rags really needs to go in the morning so I didn't have the heart to make everyone go back to bed. So today we are dragging. Really dragging. Tonight I plan to keep them up later and pull the water up earlier. And God only knows what Rags has been eating off the ground every time I take him out. My fingers are constantly in his mouth sweeping it out, but I don't know that I catch everything.

Hope you had a good time at the weaving open house. Hope to hear what everyone got.

Paula said...

Loved catching up with you on your Life List today. Every time I think about getting a puppy, I remember the potty training and say 'forget it'. Just don't think I have it in me anymore to deal with a puppy! That book sounds good. And so does the show on Netflix. I never watched Nurse Jackie either!

happyone said...

I've watched a few seasons of Nurse Jackie on Netflix too. Liked it at first but after a bunch of seasons it just got too depressing.

Anonymous said...

Youe quote is excellent. What a great attitude to help one move on! The shawl you made is stunning! And what a lovely comment about your adult children. Your positivity must surely have influenced them.

Anonymous said...

Oh shoot! I wanted to add a big "yea" for reading a trilogy. That's what I am up to, also. Enjoy!