Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Condo - Kitchen

A series of posts on my new home.
As I go about my day in this new place I call home
I frequently think ...
"I like this (xyz) so much better."
Maybe I should write about it.

The Kitchen

I am not a 'kitchen' person.  I could get along with much less kitchen.  Stunningly, my smaller condo came with a bigger kitchen.  Like twice the size. Sometimes I miss my smaller kitchen because I could work in that space efficiently - with just a turn get what I needed.

Cooking is the main function of this room.  I don't enjoy cooking!  I cook to eat.  There is one exception to this - I enjoy making special dinners - like holidays, birthdays, company meals, etc. But the every day cooking, the several times a day kind of cooking - is pretty much a chore.

Unfortunately eating is a requirement of life ... like breathing!  I do enjoy eating (and breathing) so I do what I have to do to get by.  What to say about the condo kitchen?  

Kitchen


Ha!  I didn't even wash the dishes for this picture.

Surprisingly, I am happy with this kitchen!!

First off ... the kitchen holds every 'kitchen thing' I own.  That might seem like an odd statement - but in the townhouse some kitchen things spilled into the basement (down a flight of stairs) and around a corner - down a hall - not nearby at all.  Some pantry items also were stored in the basement.   This kitchen is big enough to solve that problem.  

Pantry
Speaking of the pantry, most condos I have seen don't have a pantry.  My condo pantry is bigger than my townhouse pantry.  That feature is pretty sweet!  I tend to be a food hoarder - I know - sounds a bit contradictory - hates cooking / hoards food!  Answer - I am not much on being hungry.

Pull out lower shelves
I do love the white cabinets!  But the real plus is their function.  They have pull out shelves in the lower cabinets.  Wonderful.  I have a pot carousel in the corner cabinet.  Amazing.  In the town house my lower shelves were sort of 'no-man's-land.'  Sometimes pots got just dropped into a heap in the lower cabinets because the space was so un-user friendly.

My corner carousel

The most important appliance in the kitchen for me is a refrigerator.  It hoards stores food.  I could hand wash my dishes, use a hot plate and toaster oven for cooking, but I like a nice refrigerator.  The one in the condo has many problems: too small, exterior casing is damaged, one produce drawer broken, freezer on top rather than bottom.  But this refrigerator has one feature I totally adore - it has an ice maker.  I have never owned an ice maker and I use a lot of ice.   It is also a working unit so we will keep it ... until we have the money to replace it.

There are other minor things that I like about this kitchen, but it has one feature I really really love.


The washer and drier are located in the kitchen.  I totally LOVE the location.  Most condos do not have full size washer and driers - they have stackable units and many are located in hallways to save space.  I most certainly could get along with smaller units, but the luxury of having full size units in the kitchen is a big plus for me.

So the judgement on the kitchen?  I'll keep it!


10 comments:

Una said...

That looks a perfect size. i look at some huge kitchens and wonder about the amount of walking necessary to work in them.

Terra said...

This condo kitchen sounds ideally planned; you got a good one. Love the pantry.

Hindustanka said...

I totally loved your new kitchen! It is welcoming and spacious. I guess once you you put your little decorations there or such it will look even more cozy. Enjoy big kitchen. You probably could put a dining table in it too :)
I liked the open wall out looking the other room :)

Unknown said...

I can't tell you how many times I've wished I didn't need to eat to live as I too can't be bothered to cook, it's just one of those things we have to do.

That said I am thrilled for you to learn this larger kitchen actually works better for you.

happyone said...

Great kitchen and love the pantry.
Sounds just perfect for you. : )

Retired Knitter said...

Thanks, Terra. It is well planned out. Good for older folks who have downsized and probably still have too much stuff.

Retired Knitter said...

The opening looks out into the living room and I can see the TV from there. Pretty nice.

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, larger is good in this case because I have a reasonable amount of kitchen things and no where else for them to be stored. Ha! I just broke a baking dish and my husband said ... so I guess we should replace it. And I said absolutely not. No replacements. Less will be just fine. :-)

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, I am fond of the pantry too. One of the problems we had at the townhouse was buying too much because we didn't know what we had ... because I never checked in the basement. That problem is now solved.

Paula said...

My kitchen here is very small. I like it that way. Yours is nice! You will get used to it I'm sure. I wish I had a pantry!