Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, January 1, 2018

Who I will be in 2018!

I don't make resolutions.  I do, however, enjoy visiting the blogs where people publish their resolutions.  To me resolutions are not so much goal setting and achieving ... resolutions reflect our desire to be someone different than we are now - or improve qualities that we already have but have not 'fed' recently.

In recent years I followed the blog trend of picking a single word and seeing how closely I could live my life to demonstrate of that word.
  • In 2016 I picked the word - Move!  I wanted to be more physically active.  I don't know about physical activity - be we did move - in 2016 - and it did require a great deal of physical activity on my part.  I guess that counts even if not planned that way.
  • In 2017 I picked the word - Consistency.  I wanted good habits performed more consistently.  In truth, I promptly forgot that word as I got into 2017.  I couldn't even guess what it was until I looked it up for this post.  Certainly exercise was a good habit I wanted this past year.   Looking back I did consistently exercise - joining The Y last January and being dedicated to my PT exercises since June.  
So what to do about 2018!

I won't be doing 'Resolutions' nor picking a 'Word' to thread through my year.  If I learned anything from my life in 2017 - it is that regardless of any goals or intentions I have - the future will happen regardless of my plans for it, and I will be responding.

But the question that keeps rising to the surface is: who will I be in 2018?
  • Health: The events of 2017 set me back.  This body is good for only a fixed period of time, and I want to be sure it is functional for ALL that time.  So I am continuing what I started in 2017 - to maintain and improve this body through regular activity. 
  • Distractions: As in previous years - I need to start decluttering again.   Objects for me are distractions and the condo has started to feel full.  All the downsizing I did allowed me to move from 2200 square feet space into 1375 feet space in 2016.  Someday I may need to shrink even more - maybe into a single room.  What I do now will minimize what my children may be forced to do on my behalf in the future.   Objects are half the battle.  Time is the other half.  The clutter of an overly busy calendar can be stressful. 
  • Grandchild:  This will be a new adventure!  One that I can hardly wait to begin.  
Keep healthy for a grandchild.
Make space and time for a grandchild.
Those are the words that will guide me in 2018!

Who will you be in 2018?

3 comments:

Priscilla said...

I'm one of those people that make resolutions and broadcast them to anyone who will listen, but I get it that a lot of people DON'T like that whole New Year's Resolutions thing. I think who you want to be in 2018 sounds thoughtful and wise and exciting (grandkid!!!). Have a wonderful 2018!

Linda said...

Looking over 2017 I am happy to see I my made some improvements, hoping for more along the same lines in 2018. This is my year to turn 70, just gob smacked about that!!!! But I certainly am happy to be here.

Paula said...

I don't make resolutions but I do write down goals. And then I try to work through them. I'm not always successful but I keep trying. My word this year is Peace. I need to write about why I came up with this word. I need to find some peace and be happy with where I am. Happy New Year to you my friend!!