Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, May 6, 2019

AGAIN!



Everyone together!


"Elaine is beginning her walking routine - AGAIN!"


The story of my life.

Pedometer Story

While I was sick I wasn't wearing my pedometer!  The battery was dead and I couldn't find the charger and I wasn't walking much - just from my lounge chair to the bedroom and back!  Looking for the charger was a low priority.

Now that I am feeling good, I decided that I didn't like the pedometer I had.  I got it at Christmas.  It wasn't that old and it worked just fine, but I really prefer a larger face with colorful icons and this was a slim line style - not as easily read as other styles.

Feeling healthy and eager to get my walking shoes back on I purchased a Fitbit Versa Lite - on sale for Mother's Day.  I am very very happy with it.  The time display is large, it includes the day of the week and the date (silly, but I like confirming what I 'think' I know, 😀) and it shows 3 basic tracking items: pulse rate, steps and calories burned.  Other screens track other things, but everything I usually want is right on the first screen.




So - the problem of the Fitbit was solved.


Tracking Story

Back in April I mentioned a website (Walk4Fun) that I began using to track my steps on.  What a fun site to visit.  I strongly encourage you to visit the link, Walk4Fun, and check it out.


Photo credit: Walk4Fun
This is a full size map of the trail, but additional maps of smaller
sections are available on the site showing the exact locations.

Briefly, it is a free website where you can log your steps - and apply them against one of many famous walking trails around the world - and see pictures of the chosen trail from your 'virtual' hike all along the way.  I chose the Appalachian Trail (AT) and I am thoroughly enjoying the 'trip.'  And to top it all off, if you have a Fitbit, you can link your Fitbit to your Walk4Fun account and your steps are automatically logged without any further effort on your part.  But if your pedometer is another brand, you can key in your step counts manually.  And then just periodically visit the site to see where you are on the map and visit some of the pictures of your travels.  Wonderful wonderful idea!


72.9 miles
Photo credit: Walk4Fun
My position at approximately 76 miles on the AT.

Earlier this month, my Pennsylvania cousins were visiting me and I mentioned this website. They became interested.   We formed a team on the site, and we are all walking the AT together (well, we are at different points because our individual step counts are different), but we can keep track of individual our progress.  Then we broadened the team to other family members and friends.  Now we are 9 on a team called Cousins.

So now I not only enjoy seeing the pictures and my position on the maps, but I can see where I fall within the team!  My one niece is a runner and lives in Chicago.  She walks everywhere.  Her numbers are very high - very high without even trying.  Then there are team members who are inspired to get active again and fall somewhere below the leader.  But the leader inspires us to keep walking ...

Great fun.


Steps Story

I am one of those who is inspired to get active again and in trying to get my step numbers up - I discovered that it isn't as easy at 72 as it was at 52.  But not discouraging to me at all.  I have had to become creative in how I get those steps.  I park further away from my destination, I take walks outside, and there are inside opportunities to get steps in as part of my routine.  This morning I decided to walk around the condo while my coffee perked.  By the time it was ready, I had walked 1035 steps!  Wow.

Some days don't seem to allow time for walking during the day - so I have fallen back on my tried and true Leslie Sansone - indoor walking DVDS.



Leslie Sansone: Miracle Miles 5 DVD Set featuring Free Super-Sculpting Chain Link Band


I have a few of her DVDS and they are really very good.  Steps movements are simple, repeated, and gradually increased in intensity as needed based on the DVD you choose.  It is a work out for sure - and it adds steps.  I even have one aimed at "older adults." The DVDs are ideal for when I can't get out for that walk, or I find myself at the end of the day and short of my goal number of 10,000 steps.

That's my walking update for today.

It is wonderful to feel energized and well again.  As hard as that flu virus was to get passed, it increased my appreciate of how important good health is.










8 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like you've really upped your daily step counted from when we emailed; great job!

Breathing Life said...

that website looks like fun - I think I will check it out. I have been looking at the versa lite too - cause I think that is the one that I can also wear in the pool. Once my fitbit one dies I will get a new one. Of course it is almost 3 years old and going strong!
Good for you to get moving again - it sounds like you have some good ideas for motivation.

Retired Knitter said...

Michelle. Yes I have upped my step counts. It is funny how easy 10,000 steps used to be to achieve - and now how hard it is to achieve! This age thing creeps up on you when you aren't looking. Now I am looking and I need to get my energy back! Funny - at my age, you can get your health back with good medical care and rest, but your energy - you have to forcibly take that back!!

Breathing Life - the web site is great fun. Even without a team you can participate with "neighbors" or people in your general local who I guess are participating on a given walk. Lots of fun.

Marie Smith said...

Inspiration to keep going is huge! It sounds like you’re on the right track, so to speak!

Cynthia said...

Whatever inspires you to exercise is a good thing! I have a Fitbit, which I like, but most of the time i forget to wear it and wish i had it. I use it when i set out on a hike so I know when I’ve halfway used up my energy and won’t kill myself getting back. I’m always wanting to see what is around just one more corner!

Wendy said...

Well done! I'm also trying to keep my step count up. I have my target set at 7500. On days when I'm busy I can easily top that and more but days at home it's harder. I also do some of the Leslie Sansome workouts - via YouTube when I can't get out. I'll have to check out the walk4fun site.

Leigh said...

I know a lot of folks use a pedometer and like it. I try to get as much walking in as I can but don't ever think about recording steps. The website would really make it fun!

Anonymous said...

You have me walking on the PCT through that website. I must say, it's rather fun! Good job on getting going again!

Cat