Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, February 21, 2020

My Alien Knee and My Aries Body

There are just some things that you have to accept about an aging body - things that can't be fixed by modern medicine or exercise or ... even magic I would guess.  And I hate these little "reminders" that parts of me are not working like they once did.

I should preface my post with the reality that my health generally is pretty good - my limitations are minimal and my mental abilities have not yet begun to decline.  Maintaining my mind is a major consideration when dementia runs in my family.  So I am blessed, blessed, blessed - over and over and over again to this point in life.

And, yet, I find little resentments creeping up because of a left knee problem that has dragged on for more than 8 years.  It's a nuisance really.  A torn meniscus that has had a surgical repair and a total of 4 long sessions of physical therapy, not to mention all the money spent on hot and cold packs, wraps and over the counter medications to support and sometimes mask the off-and-on symptoms over the years.  I was cautioned by a Ortho doc years ago that you might repair a torn meniscus, but it can tear again and again.

Well heck, there should be a 'recall notice' or something on such a weak piece of equipment.

It is silly for me to go on so, when I have friends and family who have had full knee replacements, debilitating arthritis, cancer treatments, and/or died early because of serious illness. It is embarrassing to admit that I have just this little nuisance issue and I can't seem to accept that.

So why is it I have so little patience with this little (sometimes big) knee.  I thought long and hard about this - my resistance to even one little medical limitation that can't seem to be fixed by anything medicine has to offer or by my own force of will.

My daughter would suggest that it is because I am an "Aries."  Sincerely, I place no validity in this astrologic stuff.  It is fun to read and try to compare it to personalities that you know, but is it true?  I just can't buy it.  And when I told my daughter that, her response ... "Oh mom, that is such an Aries answer."  Haha!!

So I looked up my sign on the internet for this post and found this stuff.

*****

Strengths: Courageous, determined, confident, enthusiastic, optimistic, honest, passionate
Weaknesses: Impatient, moody, short-tempered, impulsive, aggressive
Aries likes: Comfortable clothes, taking on leadership roles, physical challenges, individual sports
Aries dislikes: Inactivity, delays, work that does not use one's talents
As the first sign in the zodiac, the presence of Aries always marks the beginning of something energetic and turbulent. They are continuously looking for dynamic, speed and competition, always being the first in everything - from work to social gatherings. It belongs to the element of Fire.  Aries is one of the most active zodiac signs. It is in their nature to take action, sometimes before they think about it well.
*****

So ... crap!  That pretty much is me.   Ok, to be brutally "honest" (one of my qualities), that statement is ALL me!!  What to do ... what to do...

I have come to the passionate conclusion (a strength) that my left knee must belong to another sign!  Yes, that is it.  All of me is Aries except this stupid left knee and I am going to have to beat it into submission.  And I will do so by continuing my leg exercises (which I hate doing by the way ... but no matter).  My left knee is surrounded by Aries muscles and tendons.  I will aggressively (a failing) continue those exercises because there is a physical challenge (a strength) there. I need to resist inactivity (a dislike) and remain determined (a strength) to make this knee fit into my of my body - a body that is Aries 'proud.'

I still don't believe in that Zodiac stuff!  But if I have to be like any of those signs - I would have chosen Aries.  Ha.  I don't believe, I don't believe, I don't believe.

Photo Credit: Topping.com
Aries sign is the Ram
I bet all the Ram's knees work just fine!

How's that for an Aries-attitude post!!

12 comments:

Becki said...

I don't believe in astrology, either, but I totally enjoyed this post. I hope your knee falls in line and gets with the program the rest of you is on! I've been dealing with a off again/on again shoulder issue for several weeks now so I sympathize.

Leftycrafter said...

I don't believe in astronomical signs either but your post cracked me up. Oh, not the painful knee part but your determination that your knee is from another "sign".

Nawm D Gerr said...

It sounds like a valid complaint and frustration but I can see that you try to be grateful for what is good in life. Keep it up!

Wendy said...

I think it's all nonsense too but your post was funny. Hope the knee doesn't give you too much trouble until you reassign it.

Marie Smith said...

I don’t follow astrology but it is fun to check it out once in a while.

Michelle said...

Constant, nagging knee discomfort is enough to make anyone cranky. I've been sleeping with one or both of my volleyball knee pads on, and it makes a big difference in my comfort at night and even more noticeably in how my knees feel when I get up in the morning. Then the day's wear and tear starts in....

Terra said...

This post brought me smiles, as I can relate to an aging body; once in while I tell a friend that I am falling apart piece by piece. My kind of a funny way of looking at it. Your poor knee, I have rubbed CBD ointment on my knee when it bothers me, to good effect.

Lynne said...

Not sure if it is an Aries thing . . .
But I enjoyed your reflection!

I’d try that CBD . . . it helped me over some rough spots with my shoulders.

As much as I detest having to do my exercises at home, they are working. .
Pushing through is work but the pay off is worth it.

My left hearing aid just went crackly . . . not sure how to figure that one out!

Mama Pea said...

I've always gotten a chuckle out of the saying, "Just when I finally have it all together, I'm starting to fall apart." I love the way you write. Despite what some may call "grumpy talk," you inject a lot of positive gratitude and appreciation at the same time. And I think it actually helps (now and then) to let that grumpiness out in word or talk.

Just an aside re astrology, my husband's older brother was a professional astrologer in California for all of his adult years and did charts for many celebrities and famous folk. Before hubby and I married, he did my chart including what I could expect in my future life. Some of what he said has definitely come to pass (eeep!), but some of it was way off the mark. So there you are!

Linda said...

I agree, not an Aries but I hate that my left knee is problematic!!! Unacceptable !!!!

Cat said...

While I don't believe in astrology, a friend was gaga into it. Just to let you know, the knee, it's actually Capricorn that covers that area... Each section of the body has a weak point/strong point for each sign. Oddly, you mention dementia, The Ram covers the head... And if you ever were asked about your sign in the 70's, saying you were a Scorpio? Yeffir, Scorpio covers the 'naughty bits'.

I truly wonder, other than a trivia contest, what use most of this garbage floating about in my head is useful for... :P

Cat, who "is" a Leo, (heart, lungs), with an old goat knee, too! :)

Sandy said...

OMG...loved your post. I've not follow the zodiac stuff, but have to say your post about it was entertaining. I understand, as I think most of us do the age thing, our bodies changing. I've been trying to do daily exercises, planks, stretches and the new 7 minute work out. Though I did take today off...they say you shouldn't work out everyday, so I declared today a rest day. Now you've got me curious, I may need to look up my sign.