Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Unveiling Aja - Chapter 2 - Two Steps Forward. One Back. Repeat.

I have come to the conclusion that of the 10 cats that previously shared our lives,
 Aja is the only one who was raised to be an actual cat!  😁
  All our other cats came to us as kittens
 and although we didn't realize it at the time, 
I am kind of thinking we probably raised them to be dogs! haha.

Sorry for the poor quality!  Aja, hunkered down under the bed!
That look is not "trusting."  Ha!  She had good reason.
Last weekend was hard on her.

First off, the weather was beautiful and cool.  Our air conditioner was off and our bedroom windows were wide open.  The curtains were billowing with a wonderful breeze.  The road noise (and we have some road noise), is a constant to our ears at times.  So constant that we just don't hear it anymore unless it is a noisy motorcycle or a fire truck - but Aja hears every sound.  And the billowing curtains???  Her look was "My Gosh!! Are they supposed to do that??"

Sunday, when I entered the bedroom and called for her - she didn't come.  I think I was getting the cat equivalent of a cold shoulder.  I checked under the bed.  No Aja.  I checked in the bathroom and under the rocker and under the dressers.  No Aja!  My little 'worry worm' started.  I checked my husband's closet. No Aja.  Finally I moved his shirts on the lower level ... and there she was - snuggly hidden from the dog (more on him later,) and the street noise, and the breeze and the curtains.  Poor baby.  I wanted to pick her up in my arms and reassure her.  But I knew it was too early in our relationship for such familiarities.

She spent most of Saturday and Sunday in my husband's closet.  I shut everything down Sunday night. It got quieter.  She got calmer.  Later I opened one bedroom window .... two inches only.  Air and some noise was allowed in but not at the same level as the weekend.  I know with time she will adjust to all this - because this is part of her reality now and there is really no choice -  but currently - she is not fan.

How can you not love a sweet old face like this one!

Then there is this old guy!  

Milo, my daughter's French Bull Dog - one of my grand babies.  He had been here since Thursday and returned home Monday.  He only looked at her through the gate - never barked.  But his presence has been worrisome for her.  Milo can't get past the gate so the protective space barrier was solidly in place.  She calmed a bit.

This morning I moved the new donut bed into the area of the closet she likes to hide.  That was a mistake!  She decided she doesn't like me messing with her hiding places.  Now she is back under the bed.

Her hissing responses increased in a really schizoid-like way.  She rubs against my legs purring, back and forth watching out the bedroom door, then she smells my hand (I am sure Milo's scent is on me), she hisses and then turns and rubs against my legs again, then hisses, and repeat.  She is very confused.  I look and sound the same, but my smell is not quite right. I go and wash my hands. She calms. How to explain all this to her.  I thought I was speaking "cat" all this time, but maybe I was actually speaking "dog," and she speaks only "cat."  All my previous cats apparently understood "dog." *sigh* - have I totally lost you all yet?

Or maybe, there are just gaps in my understanding!  Yes, that is it.  I need more educating.

So I spent time on Amazon looking at cat behavior books and found this one, highly rated, current and focused on feline behavior.

Image from Amazon
This is the way I love to hold my cats!
Bet Aja would think this is too familiar. 
The book is authored by Jackson Galaxy - a cat behaviorist and Mikel Maria Delgado, Phd, a behavior consultant for Feline Minds at the Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.  Apparently Jackson hosts an Animal Planet hit show and is the author of other books related to cats.  Mikel studied animal behavior and human-animal relationships at the University of California, Berkeley.  This book had the focus on behavior I was looking for - rather than just dedicating one chapter to behavior and other chapters all other cat care topics.

Perfect!

I also downloaded a few free Kindle offerings.  I am determined to not make too many backward steps with Aja.

Then I checked the calendar!  She has been with us just about 4 weeks.  Only 4 weeks!  Gosh ... I have heard adjustment time spans of up to 18 months!!  Maybe I am just rushing things.  Maybe I am speaking "cat" after all - and she doesn't like what I am saying.

Maybe I am over thinking this!!  
hahaha.

Oh well, can't hurt to check out a few references.

Post Script:  Just before publishing this post, two major Aja advancements happened.

Aja left the safety of under the bed and rubbed up against my husband's legs.  Let me tell you!!  THAT made his month!  I knew ignoring her would produce a positive reaction.  Cats typically seek out anyone they 'think' doesn't like them.  It is one of the signature traits of felines - across the full spectrum of the cat world.  A little reverse psychology works wonders.

And around dinner time she walked right out the bedroom and made her way into the living room - in front of us - while we were eating dinner at the table.  I cautioned my husband:

No sudden moves or loud noises,
no coughing, sneezing, 
or swallowing that food you put in your mouth
 ...  just act natural ... 
maybe stop breathing for a minute or two while she checks things out!!  😀

And she did just that!  She walked right up to my husband's chair and did her side rub back and forth!  A typical cat method of sharing their scent on things to "make it their own."  It lasted for all of 5 minutes!  But, hey, that was brave, brave, brave on her part.  And after she ran back into the bedroom I told her that!!

So maybe I don't need a book.  Maybe I am speaking "cat!"  Or maybe she is learning "dog!"

Or maybe we are just developing a new language between us ... 
Aja Language!

I sure do love this crazy cat! 

9 comments:

Leigh said...

Progress! We expect the steps backward from time to time; she's still feeling her way. Slow but steady!

Leftycrafter said...

Your post made me smile. I agree, cats always seem to warm up to those who could care less about a feline. Sounds like Aja is 100% cat. You are doing so well with her. She may never be a cuddler but you never know.

Lynne said...

Delightful post!
I think you have turned a corner.
Return the book . . .
I think you, husband and Aja will be just fine.
Maybe keep Milo out of the “family scene” until Aja is rock solid!

Michelle said...

Bravo and kudos to all of you (even Milo for not barking at the newcomer)!

Wendy said...

I love hearing about Aja. I miss having a cat but with visits from Greyhounds it wouldn't be fair to get another one.

Becki said...

I'm pretty impresssed Milo didn't bark at her, but I have to admit... if I was the size of a cat, even though Milo doesn't look huge, I think he would intimidate me. Aja sounds like she's coming along. I'd love reading every word of this. "...no swallowing...act natural..." lol

Marie Smith said...

That Milo looks adorable too.

Seeking Serenity said...

Yay!!

Una said...

Just catching up on your cat posts. We are a cat family. Our current cat is 17. She arrived as a treat for our 10 year old daughter who had been through a hard time with losing her Granddad. Daughter left home at 20 and the cat adopted me instead. It was sad to see that she has actually forgotten Daughter and obviously doesn't recognise her when she visits. They say cats love whoever feeds them. I believe that. You will have lots of good times ahead of you.