Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, May 14, 2017

My Mom

Left to right: mom, my sister and me!
On this Mother's Day my mind continues to float back time and again to my mom and the last years of her life that we spent together.  They were the hardest years of my life, but they were also the closest years to my mom.  She needed so much help during that time and I gave my heart and soul to her needs.  I don't regret a minute of it - the hard, frustrating, and sad minutes, hours days - no regrets.  I wish I could  have her back for just one hour now to tell her how much I appreciated everything she did for me during the years she was raising her two girls with an alcoholic husband!  The years I gave to her at the end of her life do not begin to equal the years she gave me during the beginning of my life.

Readers who have been with me for a long time may remember a long series of posts I did on my mom.  They are found under the label of Through My Caregiver Eyes (just click on that title under Labels on the right side of my blog to bring them up sequentially)  I started that series in August 2010 and my final post for it was in January 2015 - she died in December 2014.   This series documents our time together and my growth into the caregiver role.  If you or anyone you know are heading into care giving for an elderly person, reading about another's experiences can be helpful.  Care giving can be a very isolating and sad struggle.  It helps to know your story is not so much different than many others.

If you are lucky enough to still have your mom, love, care and appreciate her - not just on this day - but on all days.  Some day in the future, she may not be around.

Happy Mother's Day
 to my readers who are themselves mothers!
It is the most rewarding experience of your life!



4 comments:

Priscilla said...

What a lovely photo of the three of you. Your mom looks so proud, and you and your sister look so happy. Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia said...

My mom is 90 and is still independent but I know the caregiving time is ahead for me. I treasure every day she is still with us! That is a sweet photo of you and your mom.

Michelle said...

I treasure my mom; it's too overwhelming to think of the not-so-distant future without her!

Lynne said...

I was going through old posts and will include what I found in a minute.
I miss following you, must think of/find a way I will know when you post.

I remember your mom, we visited often back in those 2010-15 days . . .
Very nice post you have here for Mother's Day.
I miss my mom daily . . . often.

I am sure you will be familiar with this wonderful piece
I was going through my May posts, and found this quote on a May 28, 2012 post.
Wonderful Love message . . . (I/we can relate . . . with my/our Snickers.)

Falling in Love is Like Owning a Dog
Taylor Mali

First of all, it’s a big responsibility, especially in a city like New York.
So think long and hard before deciding on love.
On the other hand, love gives you a sense of security:
when you’re walking down the street late at night
and you have a leash on love
ain’t no one going to mess with you.

Love doesn’t like being left alone for long.
But come home and love is always happy to see you.

It may break a few things accidentally in its passion for life,
but you can never be mad at love for long.

Is love good all the time?
No! No! Love can be bad. Bad, love, bad! Very bad love.

Sometimes love just wants to go for a nice long walk.
It runs you around the block and leaves you panting.
It pulls you in several different directions at once,
or winds around and around you
until you’re all wound up and can’t move.

But love makes you meet people wherever you go.
People who have nothing in common but love
stop and talk to each other on the street.

Throw things away and love will bring them back,
again, and again, and again.

But most of all, love needs love, lots of it.
And in return, love loves you
and never stops.