We lost power for about 24 hours.
That wasn't the only epic fail we experienced. We lost our land line phone service.
But, hey, I have a cell phone, right? hmmm ... well sort of.
I have this simple cell phone. It cost $20 for the unit. The service was the cheapest I could find - $20 every 3 months through Virgin Mobile. Early days with this plan (2009) I used it so little I had accumulated about $90 is unused minutes. I was and continue to be - a low user of cell phones.
Mom got sick a few times prior to 2011, and then she was sick pretty much all of 2011! I used that $90 quick.
Now why would I tell you this story?
Well here is the real epic fail of my phone service.
- My house is a dead zone for my cell phone. Ha! No problem, since I have a land line in the house.
- The power goes out. No lights.
- My land lines go dead. No phone. No problem. I can use my cell phone to report the outages.
- Oh, that is right. I need to stand outside to make a call.
- Lest we forget there is a mega hurricane on the eastern seaboard. No matter. I stand on the side walk and make the call. (Thinking Rambo thoughts - Sandy doesn't scare me!)
- My land line phone company, AT&T, wants to do some "problem solving maneuvers" while I am on the line before they schedule a technician to visit the property. Maybe this can be fixed quickly. (Bets anyone if this will be quick or not?)
- Remember - if I go into the house with my cell phone to make "the maneuvers," my call will be dropped! Can't do that.
- Oh wait. I am not alone! My husband can do the maneuvers, so I yell the phone company instructions to him from the sidewalk (where I am standing in the rain.)
- ahh ... it is very dark in the house. We have 5 telephones on 3 floors. He must stumble his way around the house using a flash light and his poor eye sight to do my bidding.
- Wet. I am very wet.
- Oh, and before you say my husband should use the cell phone and I should disconnect the land line phones - you need to know he doesn't use cell phones. It is a thing with him.
- I must admit at that point standing in the rain, I thought he might be on to something!! :-)
So the "maneuvers" didn't work. We are still without land line service. But we still have our trusty $20 cell phone - which is soon to be history.
I think I will maneuver this little Virgin Mobile phone with its stinko network into the trash and get myself a "big girl" phone ... I think an iPhone is looking pretty sweet right now!
Two epic fails in 24 hours is quite enough for me.