I have reached the tipping point in frustration
on commenting in a number of the blogs I follow.
It has become so frustrating
that I often visit a blog and pass on without stopping to chat!
And that just kills me!!
So here is the problem from my end:
- If the comments setting on your blog is set to "Embedded" - (meaning that when I select the comment button, I don't get a "pop up window") ... your blog with embedded comments does not recognize me as signed into Google and it does not let me comment without a going through many many steps.
- The first step offers me 3 options to sign in to comment with minor frustration:
- Google Account - this option shows me signed as signed into Google on only one blog and her blog uses the Pop Up window designation - all other blogs do not give me the ability to sign in - even if I am already signed in to Blogger and Google! In fact, I also get a prompt to log into Google before my comment is posted, because it is a better way to manage comments. And if I choose the Google Account option - post my comment - and hit Post - it acts like it is posting it, but it never shows on the blog. Sooo Frustrating.
- Name/URL - which I now use most of the time: Elaine (Retired Knitter) and then I key in my web address. This is OK - but not preferred.
- Anonymous - which I don't use - I don't want to be anonymous and some blogs don't accept that
- The second step - Prove That I Am Not a Robot - is where things get very frustrating:
- I get dumped into reCaptcha that shows me pictures after pictures after pictures of Crosswalks, Buses, Cars, Fire hydrants - over and over again. I took notes - the average number of screens I am offered is 4 - that means that sometimes I get 6 or 7 screens before I am accepted. And those screens are small and grainy and just hard to see. That is NOT OK!
PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS PROBLEM IS NOT JUST MINE!
Yes, I know some of this is a Blogger Platform problem!
How many readers leaving comments on my blog have had this same problem?
Does anyone have a suggestion or a fix for this problem that I can do from my end?
Here is what I am doing on my blog:
- My blog uses "Pop Up Window" commenting. Please, please, please, consider changing your blog to "Pop Up Window" commenting. For some reason it is less problematic for the commenter. "Embedded Comments" have more problems.
- I have removed the reCaptcha and the Robot Check from my blog. Yes, this is a risk. I am going to give this a try for awhile to see if it makes things easier for visitors who want to comment.
If you are reading this post (follower or not),
please, please, please,
leave me a comment and
then let me know what happened.
I may need to put Moderation back on my blogs to protect it from Spam, but for now I will just "fly without a parachute" and see what happens.
Finally, if I can't find a work around on this problem, I will stop trying to comment on blogs that have Embedded comments. Sorry, folks! This is is supposed to be fun and it definitely isn't. I will still swing by and read what you are up to - but no commenting.