Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, November 9, 2018

Not a Minimalist

I am greatly inspired by the movement called Minimalism.  I have read books and followed blogs by folks who espouse minimalism ... those who describe what it looks like and what it doesn't look like ... those who have used broad brush stokes to explain it - like "Less is More" and those who nail down the concept to the point of how to organize your sock drawer.

Seriously, I love that minimalism defies definition.

Plug the word minimalism into any online search engine and a plethora of links and titles pop up.  So I won't bother to enumerate titles I have read and enjoyed.  If you link the word "frugal" to minimalism in your mind, I will say most definitely, it is not the same thing at all.

For me minimalism is simply reaching of "enough."  Enough for your needs - be they physical or emotional or mental.  Moving beyond "enough" or more than your needs is not a minimalist.

So why do I even mention this at all.

When I discovered the minimalist movement maybe 10 years ago, I strived for that.  Or I should say I strived for magazine equivalent of minimalism.   The magazine equivalent looks something like:
  • All surfaces clear of brick-a-bracka.
  • Drawers and closets with space to spare.
  • More visible floor space.
  • Less stuff on the walls.
  • No duplication of items.
  • No items stored for some distant point in time when I 'might' need them.
Initially it was an astounding goal to strive for in a household that was more than one person and was filled with the possessions of several family members - possessions built over their life times.  But no matter.  I strove for that.  And as the clutter began to clear - I could feel that sense of well being that has been described over and over again by others.

Then when the dust cleared after mom's death, and it was just my husband and I, I really stepped up the push to removed in some way all the stuff that was weighing me down.  Due to need, I even extended that to how much living space did we (a retired couple) really need to be happy and safe - ending in our move to condo living.

Broadly stated, over 10 years we probably reduced our environment baggage by 75%.  

But still ... I didn't fit that 'magazine image' of a minimalist.

And then I realized that maybe I was a minimalist after all.  I had reach my goal of "enough."

Then I walked into my yarn room.  Believe me when I say, I am far beyond 'enough' when it comes to my crafts.  And then I checked my pantry.  I am a food hoarder.  The pantry is always bulging and I can't seem to get that under control.

I am not a minimalist.  I am a person who continues to strive for 'enough' in all things and although that state of being doesn't have a label like "Minimalist" ... I am ok with that.

Or maybe I should just make up my own term.

I am an "Enough-ist." 

Hmm ... It doesn't roll of the tongue does it!?

I am open to suggestions!!


8 comments:

Theresa said...

I hear and understand. The food pantry and freezer and the stash. The yarn stash is out of control, but all the mistakes I made with yarn I didn't make with fabric. I can see everything and nothing new comes in that doesn't fit on the 4 shelves allotted on half bolts. If I go over something makes it onto the cutting table to make room. I still can't part with some of my collections, but to end clutter I have contained them to one area for display only. Now the collection of looms and sewing machines, well let's just say it would have to be a really big condo if I was ever to pare down.... :-)

Marie Smith said...

Havng been raised by parents of ithe Great Depression, I learned to stock the pantry for the lean times, which I still do. I buy little other than food but I have a spouse who shops all the time. I have more than enough already.

happyone said...

I am not a minimalist. I feel happy and cozy with stuff around me in my house. : )

Nawm D Gerr said...

I relate to your post! I will never be a minimalist, but I am happier streamlining my physical and mental inventory, but also enjoy things around me that reflect our lives and make our home cozy and inviting. I must be a streamliner-ist!

Cynthia said...

Nuffist?
I think that's what I am, too. I don't see any reason to give up things that make me happy (even if I do get tired of dusting them sometimes). Every few months we make a sweep through and pack off a bag of two to the charity shops. That seems to keep the clutter level about right. I do like to look at minimalists' blogs though. Their homes look peaceful and restful.

Priscilla Bettis said...

I traveled for work with a woman who had FIVE bags for a weekend and said, "I need my stuff!" I always traveled with a school sized backpack which held both the work-related items and clothes/toiletries.

Our fridge, freezer, and pantry are empty at the end of every week because we only buy what we plan to eat that week. (Storm's a comin', yes, we buy extra non-perishables.)

I plan out the supplies for a craft and use up the supplies.

I donate or recycle a book after I read it unless it's BEAUTIFUL (like leather and gold leaf) or signed by an author I know personally.

I have empty dresser drawers and empty closet space.

Yet, my mother pointed out that I don't live in a tent or motor home or even an efficiency apartment, and my husband owns a telescope for weekend nighttime star gazing, so I can't be a minimalist.

I say pffft. You can be a minimalist in one area of your life (like the 75 percent you did away with) and not in another (my house, your yarn stash). To try to please everyone, I call myself a "moderate minimalist" or I say, "I have minimalist tendencies." (Why do I try to please everyone? That's a topic for another day!)

I like Cynthia's idea: Nuffist.

Lynne said...

I like reading how you have moved through the years . . .
toward minimal . . . enough . . .
I like that thought best . . . enough . . .
Now if I can just figure out what my ‘enough’ is . . .

Sandy said...

Not something I've tried to be, but.........I do hate clutter. Or at least in some things like in the kitchen...I like counter space. I don't want the blender, the toaster etc all out on the counter. I don't like stuff on the coffee tables in the living room etc. I have cleaned out drawers and closets...of my stuff, but leave hubbies stuff alone. Yarn...well, like you...enough??? NEVER, lol