Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Thursday, December 13, 2018

HELP - A Study in Frustration


!!HELP!!

I have reached the tipping point in frustration
 on commenting in a number of the blogs I follow.

It has become so frustrating
 that I often visit a blog and pass on without stopping to chat!
  And that just kills me!!

So here is the problem from my end:

  • If the comments setting on your blog is set to "Embedded" - (meaning that when I select the comment button, I don't get a "pop up window") ... your blog with embedded comments does not recognize me as signed into Google and it does not let me comment without a going through many many steps.  
  • The first step offers me 3 options to sign in to comment with minor frustration:
        • Google Account - this option shows me signed as signed into Google on only one blog and her blog uses the Pop Up window designation - all other blogs do not give me the ability to sign in - even if I am already signed in to Blogger and Google!  In fact, I also get a prompt to log into Google before my comment is posted, because it is a better way to manage comments.  And if I choose the Google Account option - post my comment - and hit Post - it acts like it is posting it, but it never shows on the blog.  Sooo Frustrating.
        • Name/URL - which I now use most of the time:  Elaine (Retired Knitter) and then I key in my web address.  This is OK - but not preferred.
        • Anonymous - which I don't use - I don't want to be anonymous and some blogs don't accept that 
  • The second step - Prove That I Am Not a Robot - is where things get very frustrating:
        • I get dumped into reCaptcha that shows me pictures after pictures after pictures of Crosswalks, Buses, Cars, Fire hydrants - over and over again.  I took notes - the average number of screens I am offered is 4 - that means that sometimes I get 6 or 7 screens before I am accepted.  And those screens are small and grainy and just hard to see.  That is NOT OK!


PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS PROBLEM IS NOT JUST MINE!

Yes, I know some of this is a Blogger Platform problem!  

How many readers leaving comments on my blog have had this same problem?  

Does anyone have a suggestion or a fix for this problem that I can do from my end? 

Here is what I am doing on my blog:
  • My blog uses "Pop Up Window" commenting.  Please, please, please, consider changing your blog to "Pop Up Window" commenting.  For some reason it is less problematic for the commenter.  "Embedded Comments" have more problems.
  • I have removed the reCaptcha and the Robot Check from my blog.  Yes, this is a risk.  I am going to give this a try for awhile to see if it makes things easier for visitors who want to comment.  
If you are reading this post (follower or not), 
please, please, please, 
leave me a comment and
 then let me know what happened. 


I may need to put Moderation back on my blogs to protect it from Spam, but for now I will just "fly without a parachute" and see what happens.

Finally, if I can't find a work around on this problem, I will stop trying to comment on blogs that have Embedded comments.  Sorry, folks!  This is is supposed to be fun and it definitely isn't.  I will still swing by and read what you are up to - but no commenting.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

One tip that may help was passed on by another blogpal – you don't have to check the box to prove you're not a robot! REALLY! Just type your comment, check the wee box for getting follow-up comments emailed, and hit "Publish your comment." NO MORE STUPID PHOTO CHALLENGES! Here I go to prove it....

happyone said...

I don't have problems with commenting on blogs. At least not yet.
I like the embedded so that you can reply to someone's comment.
I've been getting your comments on my blog.

Retired Knitter said...

Michelle - WHAT!! You don't have to prove you are not a Robot??????? OH MY GOD!!! I am such a rule follower!! I will certainly give that a try. FYI - your blog IS THE ONLY ONE (because it has Pop Up Windows) that recognizes me and accepts my comments without jumping through a ton of hoops. Thank you. But just so you know, I took those photo challenges off my blog today - so the fact you didn't get it on my blog, actually proves nothing. Hahaha!

Karen - Happy One - yes you get my comments because I go through 4 screens of proving I am not a Robot. But if what Michelle says is true, that sticky problem might be fixed. I visit about 7 or 8 blogs and they are have embedded comments and they all are problematic. It just gets old doing that Robot thing over and over again. I just give up leaving comments on those blogs. Just too hard. BUT I am going to go out to your blog right now and try to leave a comment without proving I am not a Robot! We shall see.

Michelle said...

Well, when I left my first comment it still had the big box it wanted me to check to prove I'm not a robot, and it is still lurking there down below the comment box now – not that I'm going to click on it to see what it WILL want me to do. ;-)

Theresa said...

I don't check the I'm not a robot thing either and as far as I know, I have not had problems here and those that comment on my blog shouldn't have to use the robot thing either to comment.

Cynthia said...

I ignore the Captcha/Robot box when I comment on blogs and have no problems commenting. I don't use it on my blog and I have a few spam messages a week which I just delete on Blogger. I have no problem commenting here. Hope that helps!

Lynne said...

The “leaving comment thing” has been driving me CRAZZZZZZY.
I will try leaving this comment . . . and then return to my blog and see what it says!
Here I go!

Lynne said...

Yay . . . it worked.
I ignore the Robot thingy too . . .
It makes me feel like a “student in failure!”

Linda said...

I am another who thought you had to check the not a robot box! I am not, at this time having trouble commenting on youvblog! But today, for the first time ever, I will not check the robot box!

Linda said...

I see my post appeared without having checked the no robot box checked! Yay! I also wanted to mention that I receive your blog by email but have to move to chrome to comment but this might be because I am using my phone.

happyone said...

I wonder if you being a non-reply blogger has anything to do with your problem.