Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, March 29, 2020

End of Week Two of Self Isolation

So far so good!

Not sick.
Not bored.
Not crazy.

Yes, not sick.  I am sort of self-isolating to avoid anyone who is not self-isolating and should be!! Every day that I wake up ok I am grateful.  I don't want this new icky virus and I don't want the flu either - which I am quite sure is still circulating and killing people as well - although we don't hear those totals.  So keeping away from almost everyone and disinfecting stuff every 24 hours kills two birds viruses at one time - I hope.  And so far I don't know anyone who has come down with Flu or Covid-19.

Thankfully, not bored.   My grand daughter is with me and there is no such thing as boredom when a 2 year old is around.  Fatigue, yes.  Boredom, no.  My usual pastimes are lagging.  Not much knitting or weaving going on.  Even progress on Community Board things has slowed.  I am cooking more.  And ironically I don't seem to mind.  This is astounding because I generally hate cooking.  But there is something satisfying knowing what I am putting in my body most likely doesn't have any nasty viruses on it.  I am caught up laundry - because I just have the time.  Watching TV and reading fill about the same amount of time as before.

And crazy?  Probably not!  Usually when forced to stay in the house for a long time like during a snow storm, within 3 or 4 days I get 'cabin fever.'  None of that.  But I did start thinking about seeking out some fiber events during the summer and fall.  I am pretty sure that plans of vendors and shoppers are heating up and will explode when we are finally set free to gather in groups of 10 or more and return to normal living.

Hmm ... 'normal living' in this new world.  I do believe the world has shifted in subtle ways - and will never return to a previous normal.  I don't think I will ever think about public surfaces the same way ever again.  And once the new normal returns this summer, I will get ahead on some supplies like hand sanitizer and hand soap and Clorox wipes and all those things that I will need again next year - because, yes folks, we will be doing another repeat for winter 2020-2021.  Maybe not a full shut down of society, but Covid-19 illnesses will be with us again next winter.  Even with the speedy speedy development of a vaccine and discovering meds to mitigate the illness if you catch it - it won't be available until after the next 'bloom' of this virus.  When it is available I am going to be very cautious about getting that vaccine.  Even with adequate testing, new vaccines can have hidden consequences and at my age - it is best to avoid all the consequences until more is known.

Meanwhile I am keeping myself busy learning to make a diluted disinfectant cleaning solution from bleach, learning to keep my hands off my face (my God, that is hard to do), and learning to treat everything outside the little sanctuary of my condo as suspicious. I celebrate the finding (like a treasure hunt) of items rare and valuable - like toilette paper, Clorox cleaning supplies, Tylenol, meat and chicken.  I am learning to live without my good friend Amazon.  *sigh*. That is the hardest lesson of all.  I didn't realize how much I relied and getting stuff by the single click of the mouse.  Delivery times on some items are long and or just simply out of stock and may not return.  I know, I know ... these are First World Problems!  I think it is good that First World folks get a peek at what Third World folks already know.

Two weeks down ... ?? many more to go!
  It is a marathon folks.  
Be a long distance runner and make it to the finish line
 where ever the heck that is!!

8 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

You have done amazingly well with your isolation. The fact you are already planning for the next round of the nasty bug is very wise. I agree with you about jumping in to get the vaccine (If there is one). I do not take the flu vaccine since my RA makes it darn near ineffective. (Why get poked if the vaccine isn't going to do me any good?) Hubby has a harder time isolating than I do. He gladly runs to the grocery store to pick up fresh produce, milk and eggs when we need them. Just going into my back yard and enjoying the sunshine and fresh air makes me happy. Stay well!

Marie Smith said...

You are fortunate to have your granddaughter around. I really miss our grandkids during this isolation. Thanks heavens for technology!

Una said...

I think you have it nailed. Hopefully there will be a short respite to give us all a chance to recover. I recently returned home triumphant that I managed to find eggs in a shop. Simple pleasures.

Michelle said...

Words of wisdom, my friend; you write words of wisdom.

Wendy said...

Some sensible comments there, especially about forward planning. Stay safe and well.

Becki said...

Oh gee... I hadn't even begun to think ahead to next year, nor even this summer. I agree... you've got some good words here. Thank you for making me think ahead beyond the current situation.

Lynne said...

Liked your thoughts and reflection Elaine.
Time and a two year old can do it!

Bohemian said...

You have a good Plan in place... I'm able to catch up on reading everyone else's Blog Posts and seeing the Coping mechanisms perhaps I haven't yet discovered!