Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Thursday, July 30, 2026

Solid Progress - short update!

Without sounding too confident, I think things are settling out in our lives and specially in my husband’s health.  No more new unexpected surprises.  All conditions are being medically managed and he is feeling better.  In fact, yesterday, he and I went out for a 15 minute walk around our community, and other than being tired, it was a huge improvement for him over the last time he walked.  That time was before his hospitalization in May, and he definitely was struggling then.  Now the only struggle is keeping our daily walks going consistently.    

We both saw our primary care doctor this past week.  She was especially happy with my husband’s  progress.  

Then she moved on to me.  “And how are you doing?”  Seriously, now-a-days my mind goes blank regarding my health issues.  I can quote “chapter and verse” on any aspect of his care, but I sort of loose the thread of the discussion when it comes to me. I said something to the effect to her right then.  After a few (like one) condition update, I paused.  I thought for sure she might mention my weight gain.  I have gained 10 pounds in the last 4 months and more than that since my knee surgery last September.  So before the physical exam began, I brought up “the elephant in the room.”  (That phrase certainly felt appropriate in the moment.). I noted the weight gain and before I could finish saying anything about how I  got this weight gain (sitting too much, eating too much, eating the wrong foods,  etc. etc. etc.) she looked at me and said one word.  “Stress.”  It stopped me in my tracks. “Yes, Stress.  I noticed you gained 9 pounds since I last saw you.”   She went on to say the last 6 to 7 months have been filled with nothing but stress.  "It is normal that a weight gain would occur,” she went on.  “You can start to focus on you now - and we can see how you are doing in November - say before Thanksgiving, maybe??”

Have you ever had someone tell you something that was so observant and so non-judgmental ... and so true, yet for some stupid reason you couldn’t seem to admit that truth to yourself? You just blamed, blamed, blamed yourself for letting things get out of hand. 

I can tell you that not one doctor I have had before did more than say ... “try cutting out the cookies.”  Yes, that actually was said to me previously.  

I could feel emotions starting to fill me up.  So my response was limited but also grateful.  “Ok.”  

On the shopping therapy front, I made one more purchase yesterday from Purl Soho for some yarn I have had my eye on for maybe 10 months and it was 25% off now.  God knows, I don’t need any more yarn, but I did it anyway.  Now for the yarn diet to start.  Taking care of myself includes putting the break on these kinds of expenses.

Anyway, that is where we are right now.  The next post will be yarn and knitting focused!  Promise.

No comments: