Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Normal day mostly!

Today was a fairly normal day. I don't think I have had a "normal day" in quite some time. I guess that technically makes it an "abnormal day" - different from my regular days! :-)

I hung around the house after breakfast in my PJs doing ... god knows what, until I had a bit of a panic attack when I realized it was already 10:45 am!! Holy Cow! I had to get to Curves, and get in my walk and then get my grand-dogs! And maybe a few other things, but no biggy. An off day for sure, but if I didn't get my butt in gear, I wouldn't get those simple things done.

So I headed for Curves. The competitive part of my nature hit those machines HARD! I wasn't going to be happy with any yellow bumps on my computer lady this time. I pushed, and pushed and pushed. When I finished (sweating buckets), I put my key tab into the computer kiosk - and everything came up Green!! I was really pleased. As long as I don't kill myself competing with myself, I should be fabulous by summer! Well, at least more fit!

I added my usual walk to the end of my Curves workout. It was an opportunity to walk in a new place - well, sort of new. I never walk around Town Center. I discovered that Lake Kidamukundi, the lake in Town Center, was undergoing dredging. All the lakes in our city need dredging, and I guess it was this lake's turn. As you can see from the pictures, the day was overcast, the shrubbery was still wearing its winter face, the wild life had moved on to less noisy places, and heavy equipment was the center piece of this lovely man-made lake. Kind of sad, but important for the health of this lake.





This picture shows one area of lake front with sculptures of James Rouse, developer of Columbia with his brother. Behind me are a number of restaurants and behind those restaurants is The Columbia Mall.








Here is another view of the same area. The large white building used to be the headquarters of the Rouse Company that managed the city for many years. My husband used to work there.










I walked for about 40 minutes taking whatever path curiosity directed. Walking behind some buildings I suddenly came upon a large bunch of snow! It as been weeks since I have seen any snow around our community. I guess this slowly melting mound of snow was as tall as the parking garage at one time, snow from the surrounding parking lots - and it finally has melted to this. Amazing. We have had weather in the 60 and 70s for days. To still have this snow was a surprise.

Then it was off to get my son's dogs for the day. Our new "regular" weekly dog schedule is now Tuesdays and Wednesdays for Meathead and Grimace. Thursdays and Fridays for Milo. And the weekend is pretty much everyone.

As write, my son's two boys are sleeping and snoring beside me on the couch. It is such a comforting sound. Everyone's been fed, and walked, and done their business and now it is time to nap beside Grandma.

I love my peaceful dog days.


4 comments:

happyone said...

I've never walked around there before. I've been to The Tomato Palace ? for dinner once and thought I might walk around there one day.
It's just that I don't like to get in the car to drive someplace to walk.
Hard to believe you actually found some snow left!!

Arlee Bird said...

It looks rather lovely there. I recall back in 1980 when I was working for a marketing research company in Richmond, VA I went up to the Columbia Mall for a day to manage a crew of people doing marketing surveys with mall visitors. I had forgotten all about that til you mentioned the mall here.

Walking is great exercise and so enjoyable to be able to see things along the way. I really must get back to walking again.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

Tristi Pinkston said...

What a beautiful area you live in! Thanks for sharing these peaceful pictures.

Empty Nest Insider said...

What a lovely glimpse into your life! Looking forward to seeing you in the A-Z Blogging Challenge! Thanks for everything, Julie