Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Commenting Problems.

Since returning to blogging I have received a few emails saying they couldn't find a way to comment on the blog.  Obviously this is not a problem for everyone.  But I wasn't sure exactly what was happening.  I checked all my settings and everything seemed fine.  I send an email message about this problem to Blogger Support Forums.  Here is their response.

*****


Your readers need to be identified, using their Blogger / Google accounts. Unfortunately, some readers security settings block their identity, inadvertently, from the commenting script.


Any filters are subject to update, by the creator.  If the problem started a few days ago, your readers may have to look on their computers, and find out what product or accessory was updated, a few days ago.


First, as individually possible, each reader should clear cache, cookies, and sessions (yes, all 3) - then restart the browser, and check again.


The Blogger / Google login status, and the ability to post comments, is sensitive to both cookie and script filters.  Your readers may need to enable (stop filtering) "third party cookies", in their browser and on their computer. And, have them check their script filters, too.



Third party cookies filtering, in a browser setting, is the most common solution, overall - but your readers may have to search for other filter(s) that affect their use of Blogger / Google.


If any security product has a "block" list, ensure that "blogspot.com" (and any variants, as suggested above) is not in the "block" list.


Trying a different browser or computer is a good diagnostic technique - though not always a permanent solution.




*****
Yikes!! 

I had to read this message a few times because I didn't understand it all.

I have made one change. For a few years I had "Comments Moderation" checked in my settings. I did this because I started getting targeted with unrelated comments that sounded like a spamming computer created them. As comments came in, I could review and approve them and post them to the blog ... or delete them after I labeled them as Spam. One suggestion above was to remove Comments Moderation. I have done that ... for now. But I did add "Word Verification" - which will involve you taking an additional step before your comment is posted to my blog. This step usually filters out automated spamming as well.

I would appreciate a few of you checking out your ability to comment on this specific post. Let me know if you can post AND if the Word Verification step shows up. I have temporarily added my email address to the right side of my blog. Let me know what you experienced.

Thanks all


15 comments:

Priscilla Bettis said...

Here I am, testing your comment section. I'll let you know how it goes.:-) I'll check the "notify me" box, too, to make sure that still works.

Ugh, blogging is confusing sometimes. I've had trouble over at my blog with both commenting and notifications.

Linda said...

I had thought maybe it was just my issue originally so didn't mention it right away. I am not sure what word verification is, there doesn't seem to be any additional steps on my end.

Priscilla Bettis said...

Linda, didn't a window pop up to ask you to check a box to "prove you're not a robot"? I think that's what the verification is.

Retired Knitter said...

Actually, now that I think about it, on one blog that I know uses it - it pops up occasionally - not every time. No matter. If my spam comments don't jump - then I am good with this method.

Marie Smith said...

There are issues with blogger lately. They do respond to questions however.

No problems here!

Cynthia said...

This is my test to see if I can still comment. There is no way in the world I "get" all that stuff in your reply from Blogger. I hope a few readers can still find their way to my blog, after all that!

Leftycrafter said...

Wow..... test completed for you dear. The only issue I have had with my blogspot is not getting g notified by email when a comment t was made on my blog.

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, I have had that problem as well. I thought maybe they made a permanent change while I was on blog break. But it is apparently a legitamate problem and they are working on it. In the meantime I just look at my blog in real time. But blocking readers from commenting was a whole new level of issue for me. I think I have corrected the problem from the feedback I received.

happyone said...

Checking to see if I can comment.

Michelle said...

I came, I saw, I commented! ;-)

Michelle said...

P.S. There was no word verification.

Retired Knitter said...

I am not sure how this is supposed to work. Some had a word verification step ... some didn't. I have noticed that on some other blogs as well. Oh well. No spam yet!

Una said...

Just trying to leave a comment now...

Una said...

Well, I managed to leave a comment and it didn't add a verification step. i moderate comments on my blog and have managed to stop some spam that I don't want on my blog. Sometimes they try to add them to an old post that I no longer check. They would slip through if I wasn't moderating.

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, I used to use moderate comments, but found that 2 folks could not find a way to comment. Blog Spot offered fixes. It fixed there problem. So far my spam problems have not returned. We shall see.