Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, June 15, 2018

Eating out of a cooler - and a lesson for everyone.



So here is my beautiful newish refrigerator - dead!
That is why it is propped open.


And here is my current refrigeration system.  

Actually my current refrigeration system has shrunk considerably since June 1, when my 19 month old state-of-the-art refrigerator died full of food in all its compartments.  On June 2 we started with these two coolers, 4 styrofoam cold chests and two cooler grocery bags.  And since June 2 (14 days ago) we have purchased ice every single day - for a total of 45 bags of ice (10 pound bags or 450 pounds of ice ... so far!!!)  

Buying ice. 

Every day.

Changing out the coolers. 

Every.Single.Day.

What a chore!

I am so over it!

But somewhere around day 10 - after we threw away or ate most of the perishable items, I began to think on this experience as 'camping out' in my condo.  The upside - I have air conditioning, and there is no sleeping on the ground.  I don't get rained on.  No bugs.  I have cable TV.  Not too bad for camping.  And we eat some of our meals as take-out from restaurants.  Normally eating out is a plus.  But even restaurant take-out food is getting old.  

Just in case you think we aren't pursuing a fix for this equipment - let me assure - you we are.  The latest update on the repair - we don't anticipate any forward progress until hopefully next week.   It is only a hope now because the last 2 visits from the repairman resulted in disappointment.  There is an electronic computer board that controls everything (a very expensive piece that is covered completely by our appliance coverage) has come in twice - but was the wrong board.  What was ordered was right.  What was received was not.

The story gets more complicated because this unit is an LG - and was highly rated by consumers, BUT getting parts is way more difficult than a GE or a Frigidaire unit.  LG has 3 suppliers in all of the US - one is in New Jersey.  If the part you need is out of stock, you might have to wait for it to arrive from .... wait for it ... Korea!!  KOREA!!  I should have ask Trump to bring one back with him.
And the repairman suspects that the reason we keep getting the wrong number - an 07 board - is because LG refrigerators are built in Korea (except when they aren't) and the 07 is a substitute for the 01 which is what we need.  Ours was built in Mexico and just won't accept the substitute board of 07. If it isn't an 01 - it won't make our fridge run.  

Everyone still with me?

Actually the only thing that is important for you (and for us if we are forced to buy another unit), is that when buying appliances, buy brands like GE or Frigidaire.  As the repairman remarked - really, everything being produced now is trash - even if the consumer ratings are very high (like ours was), and it is better to get a unit where replacement parts are easy to get.

Yesterday we went food shopping.  It was a challenge an adventure.  Buy only enough fresh veggies for 2 or 3 days.  Buy only items that are packaged and don't need refrigeration.  Buy only the smallest  containers so that once it is opened, it is used up and doesn't need to go on ice.

For dinner tonight??

Hamburger Helper!  Yes, I am reduced to Hamburger Helper.  (My apologies to anyone who buys and enjoys this.  We used to have this when I didn't know how to cook.  It was pretty wooden then.  Doubt things have improved.)  This one is called Salisbury Steak.  We will have a tossed salad and some crusty bread with butter.

I am planning on topping dinner off with a stiff Vodka Tonic!  Over ice!!

Maybe two!




7 comments:

Marsha said...

Oh wow. We have the same style fridge. Ours is a Amana. It has died twice on us. Once under warranty and once were we had to pay. Paying out of pocket was cheaper than a new fridge. Our fridge was rated by consumer reports, as the #1 pick that year. I hope yours is repaired next week. Two vodka tonics sounds like a wonderful idea lol.

Paula said...

This story reminded me so much of my brand new Maytag washing machine (which wasn't really Maytag but only had their name on it??) and how long it took them to fix it. Good luck. Currently my stovetop doesn't work. It never ends!!

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, but a stove that doesn't work is not a big problem for me - can't cook! Hahaha! Even a dishwasher isn't a big deal because I usually hand wash my dishes. But a fridge (or a washing machine - that would be bad too), it is hard to lived around those non-functioning items.

Retired Knitter said...

Last word as of 2 hours ago - they will be back on Monday with the repair part. At least that is the plan!!

happyone said...

Oh my what an ordeal that is. Sure hope it gets fixed soon.

Priscilla Bettis said...

Maybe I'm rewriting history in my memory banks but it seems to me the less-fancy things of years ago (like simple washing machines, simple refrigerators, nothing with electronic interface doo-dads) would break less often, and when they did break, you could repair them yourself with, say, a new belt for that dryer. Things are designed TOO fancy sometimes. I think this is where I say, "And get off my lawn, you darn kids!"

Retired Knitter said...

I totally agree. But before I died I wanted to have a fridge that made ice for me. And I wanted it to have the freezer at the bottom and not the top. May sound silly, but I think that design for the freezer is better (and bigger) and I wanted to retire my job as ice maker! And what we discovered is that the simple appliances are not as easy to find any more. AND the darn thing had to be special ordered because it was fitting a smaller space - all those things limited our choices. In fact, when we replaced our washer, we wanted the old style central agitation bar instead of the open agitation - only one washer on display had a central beater bar. You are right - simpler is better - but sometimes simpler is hard to find and won't fit your space ... as bazaar as that sounds.