Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, October 22, 2018

Blogger Commenting Issues

Just a 'housekeeping' observation about Blogger - the Blog Platform that I use to house and write my blog ...

Recently I received a private email from one of my long time blog friends, Michelle.  She writes at Boulderneigh Blog - and you should stop in for a visit - especially if you love sheep and dogs and cats and horses and gardening and photography and knitting and spinning.  Yes, it wore me out just to write all that ... she is a very busy lady.

She was having a new problem commenting on my blog.  She had other blog readers/friends who also reported similar problems with Blogger and suggested a fix for that problem.  I took her advice and the problem on my blog disappeared - I think.  She, at least, can now comment.

If you notice similar problems on your blog or other blogs ... on Blogger, here is the fix I made:

Change comments from "Embedded" to "Pop Up Window" on your blog.

Not to get too technical ... but I did notice a minor change on my end of the blogging experience as the blog author using "Pop Up Window."

When comments were set to "Embedded," I could visit my blog without signing in, and respond to individual comments using a 'Reply' option button available after every individual comment.  Now that 'Reply' button is gone.  Now that I am set for "Pop Up Window," the only way I can reply to comments on my blog is to leave another new comment  (like I am an external reader) and prove to my blog that I am not a Robot.  But I can't reply individually any more.  Odd.

Not a big deal.

But it does seem like the Blogger Platform has experienced a series of problems in the last year.  It does make me nervous.  I would hate to start all over again on a new platform (with their unknown problems) and/or loose my history here.

Anyway, let's hope that the Blogger problems are now under control.

10 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I hope that works as I have had problems as well! Thanks for the tip!

Michelle said...

Yes, I have long lost the "reply" button as well, but have gotten so used to it that it doesn't bug me much. I'd rather receive comments! ;-)

Priscilla Bettis said...

I've had a series of commenting problems on my blog as well. It's bewildering because I've tried EVERYthing I can think of. One sweet commenter said she just comments as Anonymous now, and that seems to work.

Lynne said...

I have been having several problems commenting . . .
And I doubt people are visiting me like before because comments have dwindled as well.
But . . . I am here, saying Hi and thanking you for the info . . .

Una said...

Hello Elaine, thanks for the email about this. I had no idea! I've changed my settings now. So, hopefully, everything will be ok.

R's Rue said...

Love.

Sandy said...

I've not experienced any problems on blogger. Some on other platforms and don't even try anymore on those that you have to join to leave a comment......very annoying. But...sorry to maybe burst your bubble, but many virus protection programs block pop ups. That's the primary reason embed has always been the preferred setting. Firewalls also often block pop ups. It sounds like, if others weren't having trouble leaving comments it was her end, not yours? Is she a blogger format or other?

Sandy said...

Shoot...I also wanted to add that pop ups create extra screens and clicks for many people which can keep them from visiting or commenting. I remember that from some blog contest a few years ago. I think...because of load time?

Michelle said...

Sandy, all I know is that something must have changed with Blogger, because every blog with embedded comments has the same problem which won't let me comment, and once those blogs change to a pop-up window, there are no problems at all in commenting.

JustGail said...

One thing I've noticed in the last few months is that on many blogs, the ability to comment with anything other than a blogger account is gone. It's not an issue when I'm at home, but when reading blogs on lunch break at work, it is. I won't mix my work and personal accounts at work. Do you think I can remember who's blog it was that I wanted to comment on by the time I get home? Nope, no way, long gone.... :-(