Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

26 is a BIG number

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary Blogging Theme Reveal

Hello all

Since announcing my intention to participate in the A-to-Z Blog Challenge (start date April 1), I have been busy creating blog posts on my theme of Aging and Retirement!

I am pretty excited about this theme - it is a topic I have developed some pretty strong opinions on from my experiences as a caregiver and from my own aging.  But I am not an authority on anything - except my own opinions - so you won't find financial planning advice, or medical advice or even advice on the best places to live in Retirement.  No, sir, those topics are pretty well documented by other knowledgeable folks.

My posts will be based on "insider" experiences of being an older person.  And since my experiences are as valid as the next guy - I feel pretty comfortable sharing my perspective.

It will be one person's story.

But . Oh . My . Golly . Gosh !!!!  ... 26 posts is a big number when you are trying to crank out all of them in advance.  So far I have 13 finalize and scheduled to launch on various dates.  I kind of feel that I have been doing nothing BUT blogging since March 1 - but have nothing actually showing on the blog at present!  Ha!

There are over 200 blogs participating at this point.  The list grows.  But my goals are pretty specific with regards to finding new blogs to follow and subscribing to them.

  1. They need to use Pop Up comments.  I can't comment on blogs that use Embedded Commenting.  That is a Blogger problem that has not been addressed by Blogger yet, as far as I know.
  2. I am most interested in journal type blogs - rather than writer blogs or photography blogs and the like.  Personal preference is an expected outcome.  My goal is to develop new "blog friendships" - a mutual blog visiting relationship.  
  3. I enjoy blogs whose readership is listed below 500 followers.  Some blogs have thousands of followers - but it is impractical to expect relationship building when you have gobs and gobs of followers.  Some of the most fun blogs are those less than a year old - where the writer is still in the "honeymoon phase" with blogging and are actively engaged with the whole process. 
I am beginning to get excited about the challenge.  This will be my 3rd effort over its 10 years history.

I'll be back again before the beginning of the challenge.

See ya'!!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I can't imagine generating that many posts on a deadline, although perhaps it would be easier with a pre-determined theme like yours. I look forward to reading your perspective! Based on our long-distance friendship, I know I'll be blessed. Another blogger I follow, an infrequent poster in another country, is downright depressing in her comments on aging; it is clear SHE is depressed thinking about her end coming sooner than later.

Just a personal preference question: do you consider my blog to be more "journal" or "photography"? I know it is heavy on the photographs – I do like to take and share photos – but don't always feel comfortable sharing my thoughts and feelings (overwhelmed as they sometimes are with the burdens of a teenaged son, aging parents, and politics).

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hello lovely to meet you here through the A to Z Challenge reveal. Good Luck with your challenge - we can do this! Your topic sounds of interest as I head towards this next phase of life, although some would say I've been retired for years! Bring it on!
Wren x

Cat said...

Oh, will be looking forward to seeing what you do with the A to Z challenge. I have written blogs on it for a few years. Due to lousy internet, lack of a coherent theme, and general busyness, I decided not to do it this year. But I am going to see if I can read others, like you, I like the "let's get to know one another" type blogs... :)

Cat

Sascha Darlington said...

I look forward to your writing. You sound far more organized than I am! :)

Marie Smith said...

Quite a challenge! Good luck!

Lynne said...

Looking forward to your wisdom.
An ambitious goal . . .
Wishing you the best . . .

Deborah Weber said...

I'm really looking forward to this challenge and your posts Elaine - this is going to be a fun April! I really like that you're clear about what you're looking for in the challenge and what supports your experience. Perfect! Good luck and here's to much fun!

Alana said...

I've done several A to Zers and this year I am so behind! My mother in law passed away last year (and that caregiving journey ended.) I thought with the extra "free time" and a now-retired husband (I still work full time) I wouldn't have a problem. Wrong! I am so far behind! I hope you make the new blogging friends you are looking for. Sometimes it's hard to spark the "mutuality" where you may enjoy someone's writing but they aren't into your topics, or vice-versa. Again, good luck!