Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Sunday Update: Flu, A-2-Z, and Maryland Sheep and Wool

The Flu

Today marks exactly 2 weeks since my first flu symptom and I am extremely glad to have it in my rear view mirror.  Of course, colds and the like never depart from me without leaving a few non-contagious foot prints behind.  Like drunk and disorderly party guests who refuse to go home, my nose will run for another week until my sinuses sadly realize - the party is over.

I would love to report that I am totally recovered  - but unless I stay on the steroids my doctor prescribed, the sore throat returns - the sore throat that landed me in the ER a week ago because I simply couldn't swallow - the sore throat that could have resulted in an airway obstruction if I hadn't visited the ER to get help.  Although this flu is in my past, looking back at it I am more frightened by the event than I was at the time.  I slept with cold packs on my throat for two nights before seeking help.  One of those nights I could not close my eyes because of major nose bleeds - both symptoms were on top of others I was dealing with at the time.  I now have serious respect for the flu.

My husband is a few days behind me on this flu journey, but he started Tamaflu earlier in the illness so he beginning to turn the corner and climb back slowly and painfully to health once again.

A-2-Z Challenge

I am within days of completing the A-2-Z Challenge.  Thank God for preplanning, writing, and scheduling of posts before the first day of the event.  I would have 'crashed and burned' because of this illness if that work was not done in advance.  My hats off to those who created and posted in real time.

I had to abandon the visits to other blogs, however.  No energy and no way to catch up when new posts are added all the time.  The part I participated in was fun.

Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival

I am going to get cracking on sanitizing our condo - we are expecting company next weekend for Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival Weekend (MDSW) held the first weekend of May every year.  We are expecting out of town guests for this event.  It is the 'Mother of all Sheep and Wool Festivals' in the country. I believe it is the oldest and the biggest fiber fair - with close to 300 vendors.  Events, demonstrations, classes and everything fiber related fill 2 full glorious days.  This year, however, I am starting from a major energy deficit due to illness so I won't be getting around to visit every single vender.  That is fine.  I really don't need anything with regards to yarn.  I have no intention of spending a lot of money. I just need time to soak up the feel-good vibes of this event and take in all the visual splendor that is always Maryland Sheep and Wool.

This is a yearly event for me!  I always say, "I would need to be dead to miss this fair."  I have amended that statement - "I would need to be dead or down with the flu to miss MDSW."  When you are 'too sick to knit' (a statement I never imagined EVER saying)  - attending MDSW is not even on the radar.


















6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Glad you are mending. Hope your husband continues to improve as well. May you be fully recovered for the fair.

Michelle said...

So glad you are on the mend in time for MDSW! A girl must have priorities. ;-)

Lynne said...

Happy “the mend” is almost complete . . .
I think you had MEGA FLU!
Happy Festival Time . . .

Wendy said...

I'm glad you are over the worst of the flu but I suspect it will be a while before you really feel "well". Take care of yourself.

Breathing Life said...

I am so jealous and wish I lived near you to attend the Sheep and Wool festival . It sounds amazing! Your flu sounds horrible. I am glad your hubby has the tamiflu - it really helped me years ago when I got the dreaded H1N1 virus.

netablogs said...

Sorry to hear you had such a bad bout of the flu, but glad to hear you are on the mend. Things can change so quickly with our health, it's important to be on top of things! Hope you feel strong and energetic soon!