Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Z - Zombie

Z is for Zombie

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter


How did I settle on Zombie - as part of my Retirement and Aging theme?

Well, to begin with I love zombie stories.  I read and watch a lot of that theme.  For Z the word Zombie immediately came to mind.  But then the real challenge - tie in Zombie with my theme.




In Aging Backwards by Miranda Esmonde-White, she dedicates a significant portion of the book to exercises specifically selected for older adults.  One section - Straighten Your Posture - uses a movement she calls Zombie.





Instructions: "Completely relax the upper body, bending forward with knees bent and arms relaxed. Sway slowly side to side - then slowly straighten your back to stand straight, rolling up one vertebra at a time."

Bingo!!!  
Zombie is now my final word in this challenge.
  Thank you Ms. Esmonde-White.

Zombie is literally my final bow as I exit this challenge.


Thank you all who followed me to the very end.  
I sincerely hope some of my observations have been interesting,
or put a smile on your face,
or gave you something to think about,
or, at least, gave you a peak at one person's journey through this last stage of life!


And just incase you are wondering!
I probably can get my body into this Zombie position.
The getting out ... that's the tricky part!

11 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Scoliosis keeps from from straightening my back. The best I can hope for these days is painless moments.

I have enjoyed your month of posts. Well done.

Linda said...

Of course I will need to try that. Interesting month of posts, tanks!

Leftycrafter said...

Bravo! Your month if posts were fantastic and hit a home run with explaining retirement. It is a whole new way of life and not everyone adjusts to it easily. Thank you for all the insights you gave on the subject. Now enjoy your day!

Susan said...

This has been an absolutely great series, from A to Z!

Wendy said...

Well done. A great series. I think many of us approaching or in retirement would struggle to get out of the zombie pose lol

happyone said...

Congratulations for completing the goal. Very well done!!
I did the zombie and it actually felt really good.

Cat said...

Congrats on making it to the end, (and for good planning, hope you are feeling better!), and I have enjoyed the A to Z that you've written very much!
Cat

netablogs said...

The zombie pose reminds me a bit of some yoga exercises I do. A good reminder to continue doing it!

I loved reading your blog series, and found it very helpful. Thanks for sharing your first hand experience. Congratulation for completing the Challenge!

Archana said...

Exercising has to remain an important part as one ages.Congratulations on a great theme and very relevant posts!

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

The Zombie pose is a good, gentle way to bend which is best for osteoporosis so I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice and for the interesting month of posts.

http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com
Z is for Zulu Warrior in Belgium?

John Holton said...

Congratulations on finishing the challenge! And yes, getting into a position is one thing; getting out is something completely different...