Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Begone December 2019

That's right!
I want December to be gone from my sight!
Call me a Grinch!  
If I remember correctly,
he wasn't all bad.

It has been a hard month health wise.  It started with a cold for me - minor, but still a bug that weaseled its way into my body.  I think I called it Cold Number 1 in my December 3rd post.  No sooner did it leave me, then my husband started with a GI bug that got into his body.  You know the kind ... nausea and other unmentionables better left unsaid.  But his GI bug was accompanied by a fever, and then losing consciousness, (a new twist on an old problem for me), and then a call to 911, and then a visit from the nice EMTs.  He recovered his consciousness and refused a hospital visit, but was sick with this bug for about 4 days total.

During that time my daughter needed my assistance with transportation to a dental appointment that might have ended in conscious sedation for a procedure ... it didn't, thankfully.  Small blessings.  But no sooner did I return from that then my husband's bug jumped ship and decided I was a good candidate for further havoc.

Nine ugly hours after it started with me - I finally began to feel human again. - no fainting and no fever, but me and my toilet .... well, we are 'buds' now, and my ribs still hurt 48 hours later from trying to empty my stomach that was already empty when I started.

In between all that fun and frivolity I was busy making appointments for my husband for lab work, a CAT scan of his brain, a new patient appointment with a Neurologist and the EEG that doctor wants him to have, and a new patient appointment with a Cardiologist.

Losing consciousness gets everyone's attention!

Here we are on December 22 and my daughter calls.  She feels sick.  I am desperately hoping that while I was helping her with the dental appointment I wasn't also infecting her with whatever that GI bug that might have been hiding in me when we were together.

Oh, and did I mention that my cat, Wally, was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid condition last month?  He stopped eating the prescription food for this condition this month, which had the condition under control, and he isn't been interested in taking the medication no matter how I disguise it.  Cats are so particular.  So we are at a stand off at present - but that is only for this month.  Untreated hyperthyroidism kills if not treated.  I may have to force feed that pill down his gullet to save his darn life!!

And to add insult to injury, I am not a big fan of Christmas anyway - my dad died 2 days before the holiday and my mom died 3 days after the holiday. I struggle at this time of year.

Probably the only thing that is keeping me from totally checking out of this whole terrible month - is my dear grand daughter, Eskarina.  She has reached the age where the wonder of the season puts a sparkle in her eye, and this grand mother would rather die than snuff out that light.  Those tiny little 20-month old shoulders shouldn't have to carry even an ounce of burden because of my bad luck.

My husband's GI bug is gone but he thinks he is starting with a cold.  I am better from my GI bug.   With any luck Cold Number 2 will hit me around New Years.  My daughter is still an unknown as of this evening.  My daughter-in-law mentioned that Eskarina seems to be starting with a cold as well.  She awoke this morning saying, "Buggers in nose."  (Buggers!!!  Who taught her the word 'buggers'??).  But day-care is just one big cold-virus factory, so the fact she has a cold is not too shocking!

So everyone ....
Happy Holidays!!
(Aren't you glad you aren't anywhere near plague central?)

PS - I promise to stop in again before the end of the year to provide pictures of my finished projects (shots are in the camera), and a few pictures of Christmas Eve with Eskarina.  And to provide proof that I participated 'joyfully and fully' in Christmas - despite everything!!

12 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh my dear . . .
the ”foo foo bug” sure found its way to your house.
Sad and Sorry . . .
I know that doesn’t help much but still . . .
Sad for you!
I look forward to your next post and do hope
better days are with you!

Michelle said...

Participating "joyfully and fully" in Christmas with your family history and current health challenges is a major victory if you ask me! Eskarina is an excellent reason, though, so Happy Holidays to you, too!

Wendy said...

Oh dear! What a dreadful time you've all had. I hope you're all fully recovered soon and you manage to enjoy your Christmas.

Leigh said...

Oh dear, you're having a tough go of it! Doesn't seem fair, does it, especially this time of year. What a blessing for you Eskarina is this Christmas. I so agree children should never be burdened with adult problems and woes. That's one of the best gifts adults can give to children. Let them be children! Hopefully, you'll feel better soon!

happyone said...

Oh my so sorry to hear that December hasn't been going well.
Sure hope things improve next month.
A happy, joyful, and HEALTHY 2020!!

Cynthia said...

Oh, my goodness! You have had everything but the 7 plagues of Egypt! I won’t say Merry Christmas, but Peaceful, Healthy Christmas instead. And, you know, rest and drink lots of water ....

Marie Smith said...

Enjoy your little sweetie over the holidays. I hope all is well with everyone!

Angela said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family!! Hope you can be together with family and celebrate!

Susan said...

No wonder you want to see the tail end of this month~ Wowza! I hope that all the 'bugs' have now left the building (and your bodies). This time of year is so bug-laden, isn't it? Enjoy your holiday with your darling grand!

Una said...

Wow, I hope you all recover soon. Your story about thyroid tablets reminds me of my former cat who had that condition. The only way I could get her to take the tablets was to hide them in cream cheese. But eventually she became skilled at eating the cheese and spitting out the tablet. As you say, the condition is a killer and she didn't survive it. Sometimes I regret that her last weeks were filled with vet appointments and forced medication.

A :-) said...

Oh man, that "bug" sounds like it was brutal. Hope you are better soonest!

M.K. said...

Wow, what a rough month! I'd be ready for it to be gone too, so everybody can just rest and recover. That's what I'm trying to do in January: allow myself to be a bit lazy. Don't get overcommitted again.