Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Head Cold

So ... let the winter 'bugs' officially begin their romp through my immune system - (even though we are technically a few weeks away from the first day of winter.)

😷😷😷😷😷

Last year I had a grand total of 5 colds of various descriptions.  It was a record number for me for one season.  And just to top things off with a grand flourish, in April I got the flu despite getting the senior flu vax.  Spring was in full swing, sun was shining, flowers blooming, temperatures exquisite - and I was down with the flu.  Not a touch of the flu either (is there such an 'animal'?) but the full-blown 2 to 3 week variety that actually landed me in the ER at one point so we could get my swollen throat under control and avoid airway obstruction kind-of-flu!!!



Yeah ...  believe me, I was glad to see the end of that cold and flu season.

Fast forward to this merry month of December!

Symptoms began on Sunday and I chalked it up to allergies.  By Monday I was sure it wasn't allergies but the beginnings of a head cold.  Oh Joy!  It isn't even winter yet.  No fair starting early.  I kept going with my to-do list - except I cancelled my night out with friends.  Friends don't make other friends sick - especially when the friends you are seeing are all around your own senior age!

Today, Tuesday, I got up at my normal time and decided... hey, this head cold isn't advancing - it is just stuck in my sinuses.  It is pretty much the same as yesterday.  Great news!  Really!! I had breakfast and then decided to lay down for just a bit before getting dress.  I awoke at 12:30.  Yikes!  I got up, got dressed, had lunch and answered some email, and before you know it, it felt like nap time again!  Literally I was standing for about 15 minutes and sitting the rest of the time.  Another nap was ridiculous.  I cancelled today's activities.

I did think b*tching about this cold was not ridiculous.  So here I am.  I cancelled tomorrow's activities.  Being pro-active.

This minor cold counts officially as Cold #1 of the season.
One down, four to go.  
I think I will skip the flu this season. 
I wish I had thought of doing that last year!!

My 2019-2020 goal: Skip the Flu.

9 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I thought I had a cold last week but concluded it was allergies. I don’t want the flu so I had the shot as a preventative measure. Not sure how effective it will be this year.

happyone said...

So sorry to hear you aren't feeling good. Hopefully it won't last very long!!

Michelle said...

Your ending made me laugh out loud!

Retired Knitter said...

Michelle - yes, it was meant to make readers smile - and know just how terrible I am at accomplishing goals ... I have no hope of achieving this one either.

BUT ... I know enough this year to get help if I have a fever within 48 hours to get some antivirals. Last year I waited until day 5!! Day 5!! No more macho stupidity for me!

I was soooo stupid with the flu that on day 5 - before going to the clinic for help, I dragged myself through the grocery store food shopping for the week! Seriously, beside all the people I infected doing that, I made myself worse so by Saturday I was in the ER!! Of course I didn't think I had the flu. It was April after all.

I am THE worst patient you will ever know!!

Marceline Miller said...

OH NO!! How tiresome to have such a bad cold.
I'm sure you're hearing from a lot of Armchair Doctors :), but a product we swear by around my house is EmergenC.

Lynne said...

I hope the flu skips right on by . . .
and kick the cold bug by too!

Wendy said...

Hope you're soon feeling better and that you do skip the flu.

A :-) said...

Hope you will be feeling better soonest!

Sandy said...

Oh no. I remember all your bouts last year and sure hope you don't have a repeat. Was thinking, often I can't tell if it's allergies or illness either and sometimes you can have a fever with allergies. When you mentioned your throat, sounds like you had more than flu. Laryngitis along with it?

If we can make a positive out of any of it for you, do you feel like knitting...you could join me in start-itits.