Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, March 11, 2022

The Aja Evolution - Chapter 72, Section M, Line Item 3, parts A through F 🤣 !

It is hard to wrap my brain around just how much adjustment time this little creature, 

called Aja, requires. But clearly we are not at the crest of that mountain top!  

This coming May will be 2 years since a very scared, skinny, jittery and somewhat distrusting little orange female cat entered our lives.  And still there are little changes happening all the time - she is more comfortable in our home and more comfortable with us.  

Sitting on my lap - and not sure she likes this camera “thing” I keep doing.
😆
Its all in the position of the ears!

In the last few months she has been conquering the skill of lap sitting.  Usually in the evening, when all is quiet and I am watching TV (listening through ear buds - so the condo is very quiet), this little cat jumps up to the arm of my chair, waits patiently while I clear what I am doing from my lap, then steps carefully into the space I have made for her - and settles in for some petting time.  

She can’t see I am taking another picture, so the ears
have returned to normal.

But she didn’t start out this comfortable.  


It all began with her version of “drive by” - feet hitting the side of the chair and just as fast, feet pushing off in the opposite direction. Blink and you missed it!  After she figured out that no ‘condo monster’  swallowed her up,  she tried jumping into my lap with no warning ... sometimes landing on the top my open laptop - and then shooting off again, leaving me with a mess on whatever I was working on.  But I knew I was being tested (or maybe trained?)  I was calm.  She was persistent!  Next step in the goal of lap sitting, she started jumping on the arm of my chair and staring at me.  That was her signal that I must prepare her space (my lap.)  Once cleared she carefully settled in - tail whipping back and forth - letting me know she is “on the ready” for something.  Currently, she has stopped whipping her tail and she lets the petting begin.  I am also using these visits to acclimate her to the idea of my arms around her for an affectionate hug and a kiss on the forehead.  The first couple times I did this, she leaned away from me in the opposite direction.  Now she seems to accept it - because she knows I let go. At some point she just might enjoy it.  Its all baby steps with her! 

My husband, too, is working on his own schedule of 'taming the tiger.’  Several times a day he walks into the bedroom and sits on the side of the bed calling to her - and she comes!  Sometimes it is from the far end of the condo - on the run!  She jumps up on the bed and sits primly beside him as he gives her pets.  She obviously wants that time with him, because she always comes.  It is a short time but welcomed by both man and beast! And thank God for it -because those who read my blog almost 2 years ago, will remember, the first night she was with us, my blind husband stepped on her.  She was definitely NOT friends with him that night.  But like all our cats, over time she has figured out that he can’t see, so when he is on the move - so is she!

She also comes out of the bedroom most afternoons and curls up on the floor in a safe place and naps!  We are hoping that someday she realizes that there are comfy chairs just one leap up where she can reside safely as well.  


She has her own water fountain now that provides her moving filter fresh water whenever she wants it.  Yes, we bought her a pet water fountain when we discovered her trying to drink out of the bathroom faucets.  I quickly realized that I hardly ever saw her drink water out of her bowl (which was changed twice a day.). The moment we put the new water fountain down - she began taking long drinks.  That along with her healthy appetite - and she has put on some weight.  When May rolls around, I am sure we will be getting the first of the yearly Vet lectures about keeping an eye on her weight!  (Just like when I go to the doctor.) Ha! Regardless... her fur looks soft and shiny and no bones are showing!! Happy and healthy.  One good looking orange kitty!  

She also has some favorite toys.  Cat Nip Paper Bag is a recent addition!  


The bag smells yummy!

I don’t see anything.  Maybe if I get closer!

Ok!  Going in.  Taking one for the team!!

She also has a crinkle toy that I have seen her bat around and carry in her mouth.  


And laser lights are her very favorite toy of all.  I’ve even found a ball of yarn rolled across the floor - and not put there by me!

Bottom line - she is doing great! And she continues to get her owners trained just the way she likes them!!

Oh yes, we are going to get the weight lecture!!


 



9 comments:

Cynthia said...

Such a sweetheart. My last cat was mostly invisible for months after I got her. She wouldn’t come out from under the furniture except in the night when we were asleep. Eventually she became a very loving and cuddly girl but it did take a while. You have wonderful patience with her and it’s being rewarded.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Oh she is gorgeous :) Well done for persevering with her
Jillxo

Leftycrafter said...

She is so lucky to have been adopted by you guys. She looks very healthy now. Seems her training of her owners is going quite well. I miss having a cat around but promised my husband no more cats after our last one went to the rainbow bridge. Just two dogs now.

happyone said...

She is really pretty. Love the pose in the first picture!

Leigh said...

Thank you so much for this update. You two have done an amazing job with her! The water fountain is brilliant.

I didn't realize how much her orange markings are like our Sam's. He's really the odd duck of our four cats. He definitely has his personal preferences about everything, one of which is no strangers allowed! If he even thinks someone other than Dan and I are in the house, he disappears outside until hours later. Then he'll sit a good distance from the back porch and observe. Gradually, he'll reposition himself a few feet closer and then closer, each time observing a little more until, at last, he decides the coast is clear. Then he'll come in and comfort himself with a big helping of catfood. He's eight, so I don't think he'll ever change.

M.K. said...

I remember when you were first writing about her, sweet thing. She has come so far! I need to find one of those catnip bags. We recently acquired a cat, a boy cat named Leo. Well, I usually just call him Little Kitty :) He was found at 3 weeks old in our yard by our daughter. He has adopted me as his person. He's living the good life now! I hope your girl's friendliness and understanding of her good life with you keeps ripening!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Looks like you are all adjusting to one another and that is wonderful to read. And, yes, Aja does look contented. Of course, you know she has trained her owners very well by now.

Becki said...

It's hard to believe Aja has been with you for two years already. You have been so patient with her, and clearly she loves you both. I think she looks beautiful. I love the pet water fountain. What a great idea.

Wendy said...

You have given her so much love and patience. I'm glad you're starting to reap the rewards.