Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, November 9, 2020

Making Space #1


So yeah!
  I missed the first week of decluttering!  
Thank goodness this is a relaxed kind of challenge!  
Sigh!

I am joining Beckie at http://www.Fieldlilies.blogspot.com) on an informal challenge called Making Space - Declutter 10 items a week - and if life gets in the way - you might miss a week, but the goal is to post 10 items weekly on the day of your choosing.


It wasn't hard getting 10 items together this first week.  These items are things I have kept for absolutely no good reason.  
  • Three magazines all from 2018 - that have been sitting on my end table in the living room.  It is 2020 last I checked! Never opened!  I should never buy magazines.  I never read them.  
  • A bag of red mechanical pencil refills.  I don't even own a mechanical pencil and I never write in red. I have no memory of when those refills came into our house.  
  • Two mayonnaise jars I saved for some really.good.reason!!! (Not!) Do you save jars?  Am I the only crazy person that saves that kind of thing ... and never use it?  
  • A fairly nice piece pottery for storing garlic.  Why would I get rid of that?  Well, I always buy my garlic in jars - already chopped and ready to go.  I did use it once or twice but kept forgetting it had garlic in it!! I threw away a lot of dried up garlic using that pottery.  Stopped using it years ago.
  • A pink bag clip that held absolutely nothing closed.  
  • And a jar candle.  That candle was used as a door stop in the condo and was left by the previous owner.  I couldn't throw it away because it was perfectly fine.  But I seldom burn candles and when I do I prefer soy candle wax because it leaves less soot on my walls.
  • A pair of drug store readers - from my husband when he could partly see.  They were #5s - they don't sell #5 in the store.  They had to be special ordered.

Some of this is going in the trash and some of it will be donate to my local church thrift shop!

Seriously, this first week has been a breeze.  I am sure it will get harder because I have done a lot of decluttering in the past.  But it gives me peace when I move stuff out the door.

Already have the stuff for week #2 collected.  I just need the discipline to sit down and do the post!!

 



2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Good for you! You’ve inspired me to do a bit of decluttering before Christmas.

Becki said...

Hi Elaine! Good haul. I, too, save jars for various purposes and then end up clearing them out when I see I've accumulated too many. They'll probably make an appearance in one of my posts some day. ;^)

Want to clarify that the 10 items/week is simply a goal I set for myself. Others can set their own goals. It's kind of an arbitrary, thought sensible number that I thought would be manageable. Here at the beginning, I'm far surpassing that, but I imagine there will be weeks when I'll be glad I set such a modest goal. And you're right... if there are weeks when nothing is posted, that's perfectly fine too. My hope is that there is never any pressure felt, just the encouragement to keep plugging along - for those of us interested in doing this. I'm finding as soon as I post I start looking for the next space I'm going to tackle. That might wear off at some point, but I must take advantage of it while I feel it. :)