Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, June 15, 2012

FINALLY The Mannings Spin In June 2012

The Mannings in East Berlin, PA is a very special place if you are into knitting, crocheting, spinning, or weaving.  Found along a small creek in farm country, it is a destination location for fibery yarn folks like me.


I have made the trip to this mecca of all things fiber several times, typically in June for the Spin In and August for the Knit In.  For those who are curious about what The Mannings site has to offer, check these links. (I will try to avoid repeating similar photos this time.)

August 2011 - a Knit In visit

June 2010 - a Spin In visit

This past weekend was a Spin In - as in spinning fiber (sheep hair) to make wool for knitting or weaving.  But many folks arrived just to share in the fun of the day ... leaving their spinning wheel home and bringing knitting or weaving (i.e. me!)

Attendees came and set up small clusters of seats for the day.
Everyone was weaving or spinning or weaving.
Here was a rather large loom for weaving.  Most unusual.

Sheep Shearing Demo
(I really have to do a better job of framing the picture, don't you think?)
:-)

Sheep checking out the folks.

Spinning wheels for sale.

Spinning wheels that already have loving owners.
My crocheting.

My loom warped up at the Mannings

My cousin's pocket spinning wheel.
This wheel drew as much attention as many of the demonstrations.
And the wonderful family I spent the day with.

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Very interesting . . . My knowledge is limited but my interest is certainly peaked!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely, fibrey day.

ipkristin said...

I'm glad you could spend the day with your sister and cousin - doing something that brings you joy! You are so wonderful, and I'm NOT partial at all!

Terra said...

The perfect place for you to visit.

Carolyn said...

It looks like it was a wonderful fibery day for you and your cousin Linda (my stitch-and-spin friend) and the others in your family!

Your crocheting looks lovely. I do hope that if this is the project that you re-started recently, now it will be a breeze...a lovely blue breeze...

I am not much of a spinner, but I do know that that pocket wheel is special. Very special! I also know that your cousin Linda is a very talented spinner/fiber artist!