Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, March 13, 2020

Indecision Resolved

So ... I did not go to the OC Delmara Fiber Fair - scheduled for this weekend.

A lot can happen in 24 hours.  

Wednesday afternoon I dithered about whether to attend a Fiber Fair about 2 1/2 hours drive from me.  I had it all planned out to attend.  I started packing.  I spent the previous 3 days getting organized so my absence from my husband was minimal.  I was ready with only one tiny little reservation - Covid-19 was heating up on the national and international stage.  But locally it was just a small blip.  I would go, arrive Friday morning (a work day for most) when they opened and stay a short time at this small fair.

I went to sleep Wednesday night looking forward to the weekend.

Thursday morning's news was concerning.

Reports of imminent school closings were repeated on the news and from friends.  Hmmm... that may impact me.  I don't have any school age kids, but I am my grand-daughter's back-up for day care.  Day care establishments follow public schools in some announcements.  Right then I decided to go to the ocean but not attend the fair.  I could have 2 days of just me time: the ocean, my audio books and my knitting.  And I would minimize my own exposure to this virus so I could baby sit my grand daughter.

Later Thursday I heard from my daughter - who is in a leadership role in a Continuing Care Retirement Community.  She asked if I could pick Milo up on my way home Sunday.  There was a chance she might be working long hours and she was worried about her dog.  Well, of course.  Fits perfectly into my schedule.

Late Thursday afternoon our Governor held a news conference.  He announced sweeping changes - closing the schools for 2 weeks and canceling all gatherings of 250 or more people - for government, parades, religious institutions, entertainment venues and social gatherings.   He closed our ports, encouraged work from home and other measures designed to protect the citizens.  While the number of reported cases remained small compared to other areas, he was taking these steps to get out ahead of the expected increases - and maybe disrupt the contagion cycle by severely limiting gatherings.  I was proud of his actions.  Compared to our President's methods - our Governor looked like a knight in shining armor - ready to do battle.

I still could go to the ocean since I didn't plan on attending the fair anyway.

Then my daughter called again.  Her community was on lock down - meaning no visitors.  She wondered if I would be willing to return from my weekend early to get Milo if needed.  She was drafted into working the weekend with expected long hours ...  for all available staff - specifically staff without children - as they expected big absenteeism due to child care concerns from school closures.  And to complicate things, 2 members of her resident community were currently being tested for Covid-19.  Should any one test come back Positive, she would be quarantined a long with everyone else - and not allowed to leave for 2 weeks - not even for her dog.

Within 24 hours - I went from:

  • going away this weekend and attending the fair, 
  • to going but not attending the fair ... 
  • to, finally, not going at all.

It was a crazy 24 hours.

Today it is beautiful outside.  I am sure it is amazing at the ocean.  I am spending the day getting my grand dog (who I love and would hate to see caught up in any possible 'quarantine drama,' as well as relieving my daughter's mind) and unpacking my many bags of things I was taking to the ocean.

After all is said and done - I am just a little bit disappointed.  Getting away would have been nice. But these are exceptional circumstances and require exceptional actions.  And I would never put anything ahead of my kids needs if I could help it.

But ... 
here is a message to you, Covid-19.  
Stay away!  
I am washing my hands
 and disinfecting stuff,
 and buying ahead,
 staying out of crowds, practicing social distancing, 
and changing my personal schedule!  

It would add insult to injury if I got this stupid virus now. 



7 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

I, too, am not going to be attending the Guber Fest in Dallas next month. They have not cancelled it as of yet but I am pretty sure they are getting ready to. If they do not cancel, I will. Being an RA patient increases my risk factor. I would hate to he quarantined for 2 weeks at a Holiday Inn Express lol. Also, the thought of bringing it home to my husband (he's 70) makes me even more concerned. Even though you are disappointed, you are a blessing to your family.

Michelle said...

Yep, it's been a wild 24 hours here, too. Writing about it on my blog. Humbled to realize how blessed we are to not be critically impacted like so many others.

Terra said...

Let's all stay healthy. Your daughter is in a difficult spot and you are right where you are to help her. It is disappointing not to go to the fair but for the best. I dithered too this week and decided to cancel a lunch I arranged for today, and didn't attend women's Bible study the day before. I am old! I thank God for our President and his calm leadership in these rocky days.

Marie Smith said...

We have had to cancel travel plans this week. Better safe...

Lynne said...

Staying home, being available to help with
grand dogs and grand daughter
was probably good and wise.
Time away to relax and refresh is a loss though.

The heightened virus info, school and event closings,
the upheaval it all brings, certainly has me
experiencing like I am riding a roller coaster.

Questions, confusion, testing, no cure, why test . . .it goes on and on.
And the crazzzzy toilet paper mania . . .
I don’t get it . . .
I am ready for some yoga.

Mama Pea said...

We all need to do what feels best to us. No need for anyone to apologies for doing so. I don't think there's anything better we can do than to make our own wise decisions and be there for family and friends in any way we comfortably can. Hope you can try to do some of what you planned on for your mini-by-yourself vacation. Remember, there's no place like home!

Wendy said...

Yes the important thing to do is to stay well and help out where we can. The ocean will still be there when all this is over.