Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

To go or not to go! That is the question!

This stupid new virus has everyone tied up in knots.

Stores have bare shelves where Disposable Vinyl Gloves, hand sanitizer and face masks used to be.  Ok, I get that!  Kind of a helpful barrier to ward off causal exposure to this new virus - that NO ONE has resistance to!  And then there is the bottled water and toilet paper shortage!  What is with that?  Someone please explain those two items to me - and why I should be hoarding them.  That reaction seems to be connected to extreme weather events - not illnesses!  Unless I am missing something ... that is just crazy behavior!

And washing your hands!  Well, yes, we should have ALREADY been doing this because of the flu - which I think I am at greater risk of catching even with my flu shot from last October!

But still the warnings about this virus are rampant and listening to them just makes good sense.  It is highly infectious with a higher mortality rate especially among folks my age.  So I listen and make some changes! I upped my hand washing.  I believe social distancing is a good idea.  I buy some appropriate items when they are available: a box of disposable gloves and some antibacterial soap.  I am pretty much set with hand sanitizer because of last spring's flu event! I always have an ample supply of Clorox wipes. I try (in vain) to keep from touching my face!  (Seriously, is anyone completely successful at that?) We always have too much food in the house (I am a food hoarder who hates to cook ... go figure!) So I think I am prepared should COVID-19 pop up in my local county - which it hasn't yet!  But who is to know - the thinking is that COVID-19 is already present in the population generally at lower levels and the only "popping up" that will be reported will be someone who gets really sick, is tested and maybe hospitalized.

But here is the REAL dilemma.  Warnings abound about avoiding large crowds.  Events are being cancelled.  Schools are making arrangements for 'distance' learning in our area (despite the fact that there are only 20 confirmed cases in our state.  Flights are being cancelled because they are empty.

And I have plans this weekend to attend an event.

To go or not to go!  This weekend I have plans to go to Ocean City where the Delmara Wool and Fiber Fair is held.  This is a yearly event - small in nature - maybe 35 vendors.  I'll be driving (no public transportation) and I planned to attend the event on the first day - Friday - when attendance will be smallest as it is a work day for most.  In fact I am hoping to arrive as it opens.  In the past it is not a 'sardine event' like Maryland Sheep and Wool in May where people are shoulder to shoulder at times.  Social distancing should be easy to achieve at this March event. I so look forward to going to these kinds of Fairs - especially since they take the place of any real vacationing -  my husband won't travel any more.

At present I intend to go as planned.  After all, COVID-19 will be with us probably now as a regular "visitor" like the flu into the future.  I can't lead a life that is always filled with avoidance until a vaccine is available!  My practical voice says that a few simple measures at a small event should be enough.  But then you turn on the TV or radio and the news seems a bit grim.  And my practical voice  changes its message saying - is it worth the risk?

But ... oh, woe is me
 if this impacts Maryland Sheep and Wool in May!

How are things in your small part of the world?
  Are you spending any time
'preparing,' 
fretting, 
assessing?

10 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

I am scheduled to attend DFW fiber Fest the first weekend in April. So far they are still planning on holding it. Problem being I HAVE to fly there as it is a 17 hour drive. I know it will be crowded but I need to decide if I will go or become a hermit in my house. Heck, I attend Mass each week with 500 other people. I go to the grocery store. I still go to yarn meetings with 20 other ladies. I have plenty of sanitizing wipes to travel with. I am unable to take a flu vaccine and yet, have been spared that nasty disease. My decision so far is, I AM GOING.
I have RA which is an autoimmune disease yet am not on any Disease Modifying drugs so that is a plus on my side. There are 14 cases reported in the state I am in. There are about that many in the state of TX. I will ask Hod to protect me and others attending. What more can I do? Did this help you? (As I step off my soap box)

Lynne said...

That certainly is the question?
Do I go or not?

Paranoia doesn’t usually tease me, this has though.
I am usually a homebody anyway . . . so I have that covered.
Invited out tomorrow for lunch though . . . and I’m going!

Hope the AIR around us is clean and fresh.
I will stay six feet away . . . if I can.

Not sure why the t-paper hoarding . . .
Let me know if you find the answer.

happyone said...

I'm just continuing on like normal. Washing hands often and trying to keep them away from my face. I haven't really noticed a panic around here.

Michelle said...

I'm not planning on going anywhere but as you know, my son is scheduled to fly to Costa Rica with his senior class next week. I hope they go, but will understand if it is cancelled at the last minute.

I do understand the water and TP, though. If people are told, officially, to STAY HOME, those are things no one wants to run out of!

Becki said...

Three cases popped up in our county last night. And I agree... that only means that three people were sick enough to get themselves tested. The virus is here and I feel like a sitting duck in a carnival game. Which of us is going to get hit? I had already begun evaluating what types of things I may start to excuse myself from. I think the deciding factors will include the particulars of the events and how badly I want to go. Though I can't imagine if I got sick I'd consider much of anything worth it at that point. As an introvert I might find avoiding the caronavirus a good excuse to just stay home. Until I get tired of that. Even introverts can have too much of a good thing.

I was, at first, confused by reports of toilet paper outages. But if you think about it, they're telling people to have a two-week supply of necessary items in case you find yourself needing to self-quarantine. Depending on the size of your community, if every household attempts to do that things like TP would disappear off the shelves pretty quickly. Same with other supplies. It wouldn't take hoarding to make that happen. But it also seems to me that the stores will be able to restock fairly quickly. It would seem...

FWIW, I made a trip to Meijer today (for some groceries and I wanted to get some tissues and other sundries). Certain brands of TP were cleared out, but there were plenty of other options still in stock.

Wendy said...

It's a tricky one. Here in the UK we have had panic buying as well. Like another commenter said, the prospect of having to self isolate for 14 days means you need supplies for that long. I had no idea how many toilet rolls we actually get through per week (sad but true) so I am now trying to work it out. Based on our usage since Tuesday and my current stock I think we'd be fine but I'll add a pack to my next shop just in case! lol

As for events I'd say go unless you are someone who falls in the vulnerable category. A dose of flu is not pleasant but for most people it's something you get over. However, if you're already suffering from other health issues flu is best avoided and that might mean giving bit gatherings a miss.

Marie Smith said...

The news is driving me crazy. The hype is extreme for sure. I try to avoid watching but then my husband does and reports on it.

I have moderate success with avoiding touching my face when I am out. I notice when I do it. Washing hands when I get home and around the grandchildren who have perpetual colds is my common practice. I am much better at avoiding the infections the kids get than I was a few years ago.

Cynthia said...

For now we are not eating out, which is where we always get colds if we are going to get them. And we are not going anywhere we don’t have to, including the doctor or dentist for routine things. We have stocked up on a few canned things that will still be useful in hurricane season if not used now. We will go out for fresh groceries when we have to. Instead of the gym, we are walking, two to three miles a day. We will be fine I think, but I worry about my 93 year old mother who lives alone and far away. We were going to buy some hand sanitizer but there isn’t any to be found. It seems according to several sources soap and water is just as good. But it’s not exactly portable when you are out!

A :-) said...

Here in Chicagoland, serious measures are being taken, and I have two strikes that put me at higher risk to have a rough go of it should I catch the virus. I'm about to start keeping a much lower profile. Gatherings/events with more than 1,000 people have been cancelled effective immediately and through at least May 1st, and those with more than 250 have been asked to voluntarily cancel/postpone. The 1,000 number includes all theatre, all professional sport, and an additional 14 trade shows that would have taken place at the city's convention center.

A :-) said...

Meant to share this meme, from a young friend on FB - just as food for thought. It said:

"I see a lot of people being like 'I would survive the coronavirus. I'm taking my chances.'

The way I see it, yeah, I'd survive it. But I might carry it to someone who wouldn't. And that, folks, is the problem."