Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Making Space #3



I am joining Beckie at http://www.Fieldlilies.blogspot.com)

 on an informal challenge called Making Space. 

My ability to stick to any kind of schedule is near impossible so I have decide to forgo the idea of a regular schedule.  Don't know if it is stubbornness on my part or just a growing lack of discipline, but there you have it!  Despite few regular posts in Making Space, I am still working towards decluttering.  I just haven't shared my progress.  Of course, part of this event is blog sharing - so here goes.


A picture, 2 cook books, a cat and dog hair shaver, a set of 9 miniature metal vehicles, a canvas bag, a candle, a plastic Chinese carry out container (heading for the trash like it should have months ago).


A free standing floor fan by Casablanca that is beautiful but doesn't work any more and the cost to fix it was ridiculous ... and most importantly it was a very heavy fan and hard to lift ... so it is history.   


And a whistling tea kettle that has never whistled!  Not from day one!  And 4 days ago, I tried to use it for a cup of hot tea and promptly forgot it!  By the time I returned to the kitchen the water was all gone.  There was no damage to the stove or the kettle, but as a future safety measure this tea kettle had to go.  I love the look of it on my stove, but forgetting things seems to be a risk at 73 that I need to compensate for.  So I purchased a replacement.


My new tea kettle!

Whistles like a dream.  It took a bit of effort to find this replacement - the one I ordered from Amazon came broken.  I wasn't willing to try for a second delivery with the Christmas delivery rush now upon us and delays rampant.  So I went into a brick and mortar store to buy one - got in and out fast!   The choices were surprisingly slim.  Black was not my first choice, but it looks fine with my black appliances - and it whistles!!   Fire hazards I don't need.   Now I won't burn down my condo - or other condos - at least not with a tea kettle!

That makes 18 items this time around that have gone on to 'other lives' with someone else (or were laid to rest in the trash), and with this post a grand total of 39 in 3 posts.  

Funny little mind game in the challenge:  Knowing the grand total of items decluttered since I started this challenge has resulted in an unanticipated positive realization.  Although I am not moving car-loads of items out the door almost everyday like I did in my major downsizing effort to move to this condo, the grand total reminds me each time of the full scope of items that no longer are in my way - items I no longer have to live around!  A good feeling each time that number grows.   

13 comments:

Angela said...

Be encouraged
Keep going. I'm saying this to myself as much as you as we radically downsize for retirement. We left a huge 4 bed house 5 years ago and squeezed most of it into a 25% smaller property ...and in 4 months will be in a bungalow with 2 bedrooms...

Leftycrafter said...

Becki inspired many of us to get our excess items out of our lives. I am going to start again in January. There is a group I joined 3 years ago but fizzled out after 4 weeks. It is 91 days in total. Hopefully this time I will make it all the way. Hubby is on board this time also so that will help a lot.

I like your new tea kettle. Although your old one was quite a looker and it stinks that it never whistled. Good job on removing so many items today.

Cat said...

Very good! I keep looking at the various piles o junk I have, and think, need to do something. Well. They are still there... :/
Glad you can still have tea!
Cat

Michelle said...

Between you and Adrienne I have been inspired to pare down more and am pleased with the bits I have accomplished so far. Old homeschool materials, toys, clothes, knickknacks, dishes, yarn – I will keep pecking away at it because it DOES feel good!

A :-) said...

Well Done!!! :-)

M.K. said...

Hi, Elain! Good for you! I need to do a lot of decluttering :( I sometimes feel like my house is growing with stuff that's gonna engulf us.
I'm so glad to FIND your blog again. When my laptop died and I had to switch all my info over to the new one, my backup was old, and I lost a lot of links in my feed reader for newer blog friends. So -- hello again! I hope your Christmas was merry!!

Wendy said...

Well done you! I love the look of your new kettle. Most people here have electric kettles so no need to worry about them boiling dry on the cooker. We got rid of a lot of stuff before we moved but this house is at least as big as the last so we didn't have to be too strict in what we brought here.

Sandy said...

I did a lot of decluttering last year at this time; but as I look around...much more is needed. And each of the closets and draws I worked on then are again in need of being organized. Sigh...it only lasts awhile. Looks like you're making headway. Agree, love the look of the older tea pot, but having burned up one myself because I forgot it and burned dry, I understand and applaud you're replacing it. Stay safe, and let's hope 2021 treats us all better than 2020 did. Thanks for the visit.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Well done you, I love a bit of “decluttering”, it’s so therapeutic.
Found you whilst blog hopping, would be lovely to see you over at mine at emeraldcottage.blogspot.com
Jillxx

Becki said...

Good job, Elaine. I will soon get back to Making Space! I love your new tea kettle. :)

Paula said...

I've been thinking about getting one of those electric tea pots. I think the brand is call Corsoi. I don't really drink that much tea so it probably isn't a wise purchase. I use my Keurig everyday though.

John's Island said...

Hi Retired Knitter, This is a great post. I have been working on decluttering here at my place for the last several years. You are doing better with it than I have but your post is encouraging! I especially loved this, "Although I am not moving car-loads of items out the door almost everyday like I did in my major downsizing effort to move to this condo, the grand total reminds me each time of the full scope of items that no longer are in my way - items I no longer have to live around!" That is a wonderful way to look at it! Thank you for sharing. Happy New Year to you and yours. John

Anonymous said...

Love your tea kettle. I still keep my 15-year-old Revere “classic” one on the stovetop - even though I’ve moved on to an electric one. Find it so comforting to see it there. Just discovered your blog through a random iPad tap. All these years I’ve been missing out.