Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, December 11, 2020

Plant Babies

After 6 months with Aja, I noticed that she isn't what I would call a "jumper."  Our jumper cats had reached all surfaces in the house - even the top of the fridge and the kitchen cabinets.  Not all cats are interested in checking out items far above their heads, and so far Aja doesn't seem interested.  

So with that discovery, I decided to enjoy some potted plants.  It has been more than 40 years since I have had potted plants - mostly because I was forced to choose between having the plants or having the cats.  Cats win hands down.  And all my cats have been plant chewers.  So far Aja has shown no interest.

So far these are my plant choices. 

 I enjoy cactus because they are pretty hardy, interesting and hard to kill.  

One of my favorite is the Christmas Cactus - which produced a flower for me!  My

neighbor downstairs has a huge Christmas Cactus and it is filled with flowers.

Maybe someday.



I also love leafy plants - without flowers.  They tend to be hearty as well.



I have them right beside me on my desk so I can look at them regularly and check them for watering.
My den area is a bright spot naturally.  But I also got a snap on grow light for above them.


When I bought the two Christmas cactus, they were filled with little buds.

  I was pretty sure those buds would not survive.  

And they didn't.  Only one flower.  Plants tend to go into "shock" with lots of changes.  



With time these little guys will flourish, I hope! 
 

My one bloom!  There is hope!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Having not had house cats, I was unaware of the choice you've had to make. I think my house would feel very barren without houseplants.

Cat said...

I am fortunate to have a kitty not interested in jumping either. Which is good, as I have the local jungle in the front room. If you wait, I have a feeling your Christmas cactus will step up and bloom like crazy later. The ones I have took a lot of abuse when I first received them, and now seem to bloom all over the plant! If only I could get my poinsettia to bloom...
Cat

Leftycrafter said...

I too, spent years without plants in favor of my cats. I now have orchids, a peace lily and one Thanksgiving cactus. The cactus is getting quite large and has just started to bloom and will continue for several months. The lily just finished blooming and the orchids will bloom come spring/summer. I do like your choice of plants. Adding color and greenery with plants just seems to warm up a home.

happyone said...

You made some nice choices for your inside plants.
I have a couple plants but now I want to get a few more after reading your post. Perhaps a cactus or two.

Marie Smith said...

Good luck with Aja and plants. Let’s hope she continues her disinterest in plants.

A :-) said...

I think you made good choices for your plants!! All of these will enjoy good sun should you ever wish to shift them around. I have a sunroom full of plants :-) I don't have a lot of succulents, but I have four Christmas Cacti and a Wandering Jew like yours!

Leigh said...

Plants add so much cheer inside; your choices are beautiful. Great idea about the grow-light spotlight. But I know what you mean about cats and plants! Have you ever tried to grow "cat grass?"

Becki said...

What gorgeous plants! Here's hoping Aja enjoys them from a distance - or better yet, completely ignores them.