Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

GoodReads Reading Challenge for 2016 and 2017


GOODREADS
It's that time of the year again - how many books will you read this year? 
Can you beat last year's goal?


Last January I joined the GoodReads Reading Challenge for 2016.   It is simple, really.  Just pick a number of books you want to read in a given year, plug it into the Good Reads website, log your completed books, and see if you reach goal.

I had no idea how many book I read in a year.  Last year I picked a random number - 25!  Silly me.  I passed that number very early on.  The final 2016 total was 43 books.  The total was probably more since I don't think I logged every book.  And I know I started about 10 others that I lost interest in and abandoned without finishing.  My reading is a mix of Kindle and Audio.  It has been a few years since I have read an actual book.  I should give that a try once again.  I used to adore reading non-electronic books.

My total of 43 for 2016 is really pretty low compared to some readers on GoodReads.  It is not unusual to see a goal of 75 or 100 books for the year.  I find that reading level pretty amazing.  That is about 2 books a week!!

GoodReads sent out invitations again for 2017 and I signed up.  I think I picked a total a little closer to my reading history. This year -  45 books.  I probably should have picked a higher number because last year I had a gap in time (summer moving) when I wasn't reading much.  But I will go with 45 - you never know what the future may hold - and I do love reaching a goal!

Have you ever joined a reading challenge?

9 comments:

Linda said...

LOL, my reading goals for most of my life has been reading less since I often read when I "shoud" be doing other things. A life long habit, read at night by the hall light when I was a child. Listening to audible books is a wonderful option for me, I can get lost in a book and still be doing other things. I have no idea how many books I read in a year. Right now I am listening to The Miniaturist and reading a real book - Handwoven Tape: Understanding and Weaving Early American and Contemporary Tape.

Paula said...

I track my reading on Goodreads too. The first year I didn't make my goal. This year I set the goal at 35 books and I read 37. I am setting my goal at 40 for 2017. I like e-reader books best because I can read at night without having a lamp on. And I can hold my Nook with one hand. I have also started using audio books. I love them!!

Retired Knitter said...

I never had any idea how many books I completed in a year - and suspect the 2016 number is low because of the month devoted to moving. But I am going to make a decent effort in 2017 just to see how many. I am sure it will be over 50.

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, I am a devoted Kindle reader because it is so light and I can carry it with me in my purse anywhere. But I do miss holding a book and turning the pages and having a better sense of how far along I am in the book - but I never keep or re-read a book so it seems a bit wasteful. But I have a few real books so I will see how it goes reading a "real" book.

Elizabeth | Take On E said...

I picked 25 last year too, ended up reading 37. This year I set a goal of 35. I love Goodreads--it's a great way to keep track of my "to-read" list. I keep telling my husband to join, but he has yet to get on the bandwagon. :)

happyone said...

My goal is 50 books to read this year. Had it last year too but didn't quite make it. You beat me by 2 books. : )

Unknown said...

No, I've never joined a reading challenge. I'm one of those ones who will read 2-3 books per week every year but the idea of a challenge would take the enjoyment out of reading for me.

Retired Knitter said...

Actually it is not much a of a 'challenge.' It is an opportunity to find out how many books I actually do read in a year. And I pick the number and see how well I do against what I guessed rather than how I do against others. Sort of a personal listing more than anything else - and last year was not a good representative of what I read normally. Not sure I will do this every year.

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

I signed up for the Goodreads Challenge last year with a goal of reading 71 books. I met and exceeded the goal so for 2017 I went with 72 (the age I will be this year.) I'm about on schedule and hope to get a bit ahead before summer!