Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, June 25, 2017

The Island



As most of you know, I am a knitter.  Knitting is my passion.

Last year I saw the cutest crochet pattern called The Island Playset.  I fell in love with it.  The design was charming because around the far edge of the ocean is threaded a ribbon that can be pulled together to contain all the little animals and the island into a self contained bag.

But it was crochet and I didn't have any children in my life to make it for.  And I hadn't done crochet in such a long long time.  And I didn't know where my crochet hooks were and I didn't have the right yarn - and on and on!  So I saved the pattern - but never forgot about it.

Then it happened.  This year my niece is pregnant and I whipped out that pattern again.

The self talk began.
     Me 1 - "Hmmm, I could make this."
     Me 2 - "Nooo, it is crochet."
     Me 1 - "But you saved this pattern for a year."
     Me 2 - "I know, but ... "
     Me 1 - "Oh for heavens sake - get a grip!  You want to make this pattern."
     Me 2 - "Well .... maybe just a little bit."

     Me 3 - (Yes, I have a split personality.) "Me 1 and Me 2!!!  Shut up!  Both of you go find the
                 crochet hooks and get hooking."  Or whatever they call it.

My goal was to finish it in time for the baby shower which happened last weekend - which I did.  Sadly I had to  miss that joyful event, because that was also the day my Max died.  My daughter delivered the Island Play set on my behalf - with 3 little summer outfits (for next year), a dapper  little man sun hat, sun glasses, a fishing pole and magnetic fish,  and some plastic sea creature that squirt bath water - all in a white basket.

The picture above was taken by my sister who reported the Island Playset was a big hit.  I meant to take my own pictures - but picture taking was the last thing on my mind that weekend.  Thankfully I do have a picture to share however.

And now I can tuck away Me 1, 2, and 3 until the next time I dither about something.

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

That is the cutest thing! Such fun for the little guy when he gets a bit bigge,

Priscilla said...

Nice island, so cute and so impressive! Haha, the Me 1, Me 2, and Me 3 made me laugh out loud.

happyone said...

Wow isn't that nice!! I love it! : )

Linda said...

What a successful project, so adorable and will be so much fun. Great job!

Michelle said...

ALMOST makes me want to know how to crochet.... ;-)

Carolyn said...

So cute! I am sorry to hear about Max. I truly believe that creating/making is one of the very best antidotes for grief/loss. (Though I know that this particular creation happened before the loss, I hope you will find comfort in both memories and dreams while working on future projects.)

Paula said...

That is the cutest playset ever!!

Lois said...

How adorable. It will be played with for years. I could see even the older grandchildren in my life playing with it still.