Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Hello Again

Without trying to sound trite, 
time just seems to fly past me.
October! 
 It is actually the middle of October!!

It feels like last week when I last wrote.  I opened the blog to find it was June!

It is about this time when I start thinking about how well the current year has gone.  And certainly the last 4 months have had ups and downs.

The stellar highlight of 2017 has to be the announcement that I will become a grandmother sometime in February 2018.  I sort of gave up entirely on that idea, as my 'children' lead successful happy lives with no indication of having children of their own.  Giving birth to a child is a very personal choice and the choice to not reproduce must be respected.  But I did hope one day have a grandchild of my own.  And that hope could only be made reality by one of my own children.

A less stellar event was my left knee.  One day in May I awoke to pain and swelling in that joint.  I got medical help, participated in 8 weeks of physical therapy only to discover that what I had was a torn meniscus and it would only be fixed by surgery.  Surgery in September followed by more PT through October brought me to this day - the knee is improved but still not as flexible or as strong as it needs to be.  I am forced to learn patience - my therapist reminds me frequently that healing a knee takes time because it is a joint that doesn't get much down time.

The condo was a great blessing to me during this last 6 months.  No stairs and a smaller home 'foot print' to maintain proved to be worth all the effort expended in 2016 to get there.  It took a full year but I have finally move away from thinking of my much loved townhouse as my home.  Now when I think about it, those 30 years and that townhouse seem just like a different stage of my life that I have moved past.  Which, in truth, it truly is.

I am eager to return to a more active life style after so much sedentary living since May.  A return to regular walking is eagerly desired.  And when I don't need to favor the healing in my knee, that exercise will be on my daily schedule.  I did drop The Y - membership.  I am very fortunate to live not too far from a fully equipped senior center that has a full exercise studio as well as a pool.  Of course, it also offers a huge range of other activities as well (book clubs, lectures, lunch service, located near a beautiful library with all their own offerings, etc.) All that for the cost of $75 a year vs $600 a year at The Y.  Hard to argue with those figures.

And my knitting life has been very very full.  I finished a shawl for my daughter, a shawl for my daughter-in-law, a sweater for my niece's new baby, and a baby blanket for my new granddaughter.  In the next month I need to finish a sweater for my granddaughter and a matching set of father-daughter hats in the Viking theme (a suggestion from the new dad.)  Yes, I have had a lot of forced sitting time.  The only thing that got a work out since May were my fingers.  Pictures of these project will follow.

After long breaks in blogging, I often wonder if anyone will return to read anything I write.  But if I really wrote for an audience, I would have stopped writing long ago.  Writing is something I do for me.  But if you did stop by and you read all the way to this point, I would be happy to hear from you.
Image result for fall leaf
Happy Fall Everyone!!

6 comments:

happyone said...

Oh congratulations. You will be a wonderful grandma!!
Sorry to hear about your knee but glad it is getting better.

Michelle said...

I'm here! I'm glad you're here! Congrats on getting the knee fixed and healing, and the upcoming addition!

Priscilla said...

Yikes, a torn meniscus sounds painful. I hope your physical therapy exercises are helping post surgery and that the knee will behave and return to full mobility. It's amazing to get a pool membership for 75/year! And then the perks on top of that, super frugal win.:-) Looking forward to your knitting project photos!

Paula said...

YAY! A grandbaby! Great news. And I can already imagine you knitting lots of baby things. Sorry about your knee but sounds like you are mending. You are blessed to have all that wonderful senior activities so nearby. Good for you!!

Robin in Virginia said...

It was good to see your new post. Congratulations on the upcoming grandchild! Sorry you had to have knee surgery, but it sounds like you are mending well. Look forward to seeing what your fingers have created with the knitting!

Una said...

Great to hear from you again. I've been wondering where you were.