Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Waves ...

Waves ....

That's what my blog posting history seems to be in that last few years.  Post a bunch ... like racing toward a shore.  Go blog-dark ... like receding away from the shore.  Come racing back again with a bunch of new ideas.   Its my style and I have decided to embrace it.


During the receding quiet cycle, my mind is not quiet.  I collect ideas and when the mood hits ... I am ready to charge the shore again.

Funny that I should use a wave to symbolize my blogging cycle.  Guess the ocean is on my mind since I passed up an opportunity to visit the shore this week (not a topic for the blog.)  And yet, I have another wave symbol to share - a finished crochet project for my grand - daughter.  It is a Christmas present.  I'll share it here because I don't think anyone in my family follows my blog.

The Zookeepers Blanket

My version of the Zookeepers Blanket

Earlier this year I posted a story about a blanket that caught my eye.
  I had to make it.  Just too cute.
 Check out the link to view the original blanket as made by the designer (I made changes.)

The Elephant

The crocheted edge is called 'the wave' stitch and I am sure you can see why.
That edge is not part of the original design.

The Wave Edge Stitch
Zipper Crochet Join - to connect the squares.
This is a fiddly stitch, but so worth the effort.

Finished - and it sure was fun to make.  

Cow

Working this project I discovered  (surprisingly) that I love working crochet.  Oh, it wasn't a 'fall in love' kind of love.  Not at all.  Actually it was more of a 'kicking and screaming' kind of love.


Lion


Last year I began a crochet project for my Great-grand nephew.  It was a play set called The Island.  Very cute.   I discovered the pattern in 2016 and I had a rudimentary understanding of crochet.  So rudimentary that with every change of stitch I had to check how to do it in my crochet book.  In 2017 our family welcomed a new little guy - my great-grand nephew.  Finally I had someone to make The Island for.  I remember I complained the whole time I was making it about this and that, and that and this .... complain, complain, complain.  But I finished it.  It was a act of love for the first baby in our family.  And when it was done I was thrilled with it - and thankfully so was the recipient.

But never again, I promised myself.  No more crochet!  Never again!  No, no, no.  Hanging up my crochet hooks after one successful project.




You know what they say about the word 'never.'

Snail
My son and daughter-in-law began growing a new little life in 2017. 
  During that time I discovered that almost all the really cute toys and blankets were made in crochet.  I resisted!  
No, no, no.

Lady Bug

Then I discovered The Zookeeper's Blanket.  I just HAD to do it *sigh*.  So I reluctantly dusted off my crochet hooks and started the blanket project with an attitude ... 'taking one for the team,' making the grand sacrifice, gritting my teeth and resolve ... after all, this was for my long awaited grand baby.  My own grand baby that I really gave up hope of every having!

Lobster
Somewhere in that project I began to enjoy crochet.

Sheep
So many reasons, that I won't enumerate here, 
but that crochet blanket began to come together with great speed.

Jelly Fish
Now I am looking around for another crochet project!

Does that mean knitting is taking a back seat to crochet?
  Heresy!! 
Nothing could be further from the truth.

That proof is a topic for next time.

The Pig






14 comments:

Michelle said...

I say embrace the waves, but never pass up an opportunity to go to the seashore!

Priscilla Bettis said...

I love the wave edge (and all the cute critters, too, of course). Haha, my family doesn't follow my blog, either!

Marie Smith said...

It is such a wonderful project! The animals are special. Your little sweetie will love it forever!

Theresa said...

Oh heavens you are making me want to learn to crochet!

Linda said...

Some family follows! She is going to love this blanket!!! I love how the edging looks, what a fun project. You are inspiring me to get back to some crocheting.

happyone said...

Oh that is just wonderful. I am not surprised because you are so talented with needles. You really are amazing.

Retired Knitter said...

And I do Michelle. There is nothing like the ocean. But some priorities can't be ignored. Hopefully there will be other visits.

Retired Knitter said...

Well here's hoping my grand daughter feels the same! Thanks.

Retired Knitter said...

Thanks, I sure hope so.

Retired Knitter said...

Haha. Be careful! It kind of grows on you the more you do it.

Retired Knitter said...

Oh my. You are right. Some family does follow. :-) There are so many cute things out there in crochet!!

Retired Knitter said...

Thanks Karen. You are missed! Wish you lived closer. But that house you have built - what a beautiful and inspired home! Truly love it.

Nawm D Gerr said...

Soooooooo cute!

Lynne said...

Well, well . . . what a master you are.
Creative Artist in your crochet . . .
Amazing!