Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Thursday, March 21, 2019

When Privacy Keeps you from Commenting


One of the many beneficial rewards of joining a large blog challenge - like A-to-Z Blog Challenge - is the chance to share information across a broader range of people than normal.  A-to-Z Blog Challenge emails are being received from the Challenge Coordinators - and one of them was about how to make your blog friendly for receiving comments.  They do encourage use of Pop Up Commenting and removal of the Prove You Are Not A Robot function - at least for the course of the event.

I offered up some of the problems I have been having with not being recognized consistently as  signed into Google - and how Embedded Comments and the "Robot From Hell" function blocked me from commenting.

Another participant, Jemima Pett, responded to my problem.  Apparently she uses Safari, as I do, and after a Safari Update, she started having the same problems as I described.  She discovered that the browser update was the cause - and that a Privacy setting had been changed in the browser.

Below is the link to that article - and following her recommendation - my problem with commenting has totally gone away!!!  I encourage you to read her post.

http://jemimapett.com/blog/2018/11/14/privacy-stops-blogging-comments-safari/

I am thinking of putting Comment Moderation back on my blog at some point - because I have already found some spam.  But until this event is over, I will keep the settings user/commenter free of frustrations.

So it really wasn't a Blogger problem at all - it was a problem in my browser.

My apologies to Blogger for all my ill will thoughts and words over the last few months.  It wasn't their problem at all.  But the courtesy of a response to my email requesting their help would have been appreciated.  I can't help but wonder is Blogger manned by any living and breathing individuals.  I am thinking - not!

6 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

Maybe blogger is run by a robot. Hence the reason for the "I'm not a robot" box. It is their version of eHarmony lol. Seriously though, I am glad you found out the issue. Too bad blogger did not respond to your questions.

Marie Smith said...

I tried the fix on my IPad but I don’t know if it will work. I couldn’t comment for a few days now.

Marie Smith said...

Looks like it worked. Thank you!

Michelle said...

I use Safari, too., Off to try the security fix; thanks!

Leigh said...

I've had similar problems with Firefox browser. I couldn't comment after it updated! But nothing I tried worked so now I use Chrome just for blog writing and visiting. I'm glad you found out how to solve the problem!

Cynthia said...

So glad you found a solution to your commenting problem finally. Making blog friends is 3/4 the fun! Hope to see you again now.