Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Friday, March 29, 2019

Walking - Hello AGAIN.

Now that all the sitting and writing is done for the A-2-Z challenge, I have the luxury of writing (once again) about other day-to-day stuff.  Before those April posts launch starting on the 1st - thought I would share my initial efforts at getting a walking routine started - AGAIN!

It seems like I am always starting over to establish the walking habit.  (It could be described another way - I have developed the habit of starting walking programs.  Ha!)

I was walking somewhat regularly several years ago, but then had a major setback in 2017.   I spent a lot of time in PT trying to get my left knee well, resulting finally in a surgery repair in September 2017 - which was followed by yet again more PT until December 2017.  But as anyone can tell you who has had any kind of surgery on the knee - the knee isn't back to 'real' normal for about a year.  I noticed in fall of 2018 that I could finally kneel on that knee.  It was sort of the last test of normalcy - and I passed.

This spring I decided to take up a regular walking routine.  I began last week.

Interesting bodily discoveries.  My knee does well - it is a bit touchy at the start but 'gets over itself' within a few minutes and cooperates with no complaint.  My heart and lungs still do just fine. I find that a bit surprising.  Not much of a set back after a nearly 2 year break.  So a 30 minute walk is no problem.  I am, however, focused mostly on steps and time - and not on speed and distance - but my walk speed is pretty good.  Close to 3 miles per hour I would guess.  Woo Hoo!!!  I expect all those indicators to improve.  I am encouraged.

One problem still remains - that my current neighborhood of 2+ years isn't really walker friendly.  Sidewalks disappear, traffic is awful and visual interest is null.  So while I am still driving (at 72 you never know), I can get to wonderful walking paths and lakes and other areas of interests nearby.  I guess I will make lemonade out these lemons by taking you with me on my walks and sharing pictures of my area - new places all the time.  It will give me the incentive to get in the car for that walk (harder) rather than just stepping out of my condo for a walk (easier.)

I am using my Fitbit for tracking time and steps.  If you also use Fitbit - and want to be 'friends' on the Fitbit site - so we can check each other's progress and encourage each other - drop me an email.  I would love to have you as a virtual 'walking partner' on Fitbit.   'Friends' on Fitbit  can see each other's step counts.  Just knowing that info often inspires me to put in just a few more steps and a bit more time.

So on the Sundays in April (no A-2-Z posts on Sundays), I'll feature one of my walks.  And share some of the progress - not that anyone really cares about the stats except me - but it will give me the incentive to not embarrass myself by sitting too much and then being forced to admit it to you!

Till next time.









6 comments:

Angela said...

Walking is wonderful!! Keep up the great work!!

Marie Smith said...

I have kept at the walking this month since the sun is shining more. It is so much better to be outside than on a treadmill.

Michelle said...

Sending you an email!

happyone said...

Good luck with your walking! :)
I'm still using my striiv, the one you recommended for me!
I can't imagine NOT walking. :)

Archana said...

Waiting to read your AtoZ Posts! We have a similar theme which should be very interesting. I am a keen walker too so hope to catch up with your waking posts as well! Good luck!!

Wendy said...

I try and walk regularly but nothing too strenous. I'm lucky to have open space and woodland on my doorstep but I know what you mean about doing the same walks all the time. Good you can still get out and about and your knee is holding up/improving.