Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, November 1, 2010

A month to give thanks!

November!

Now begins the season of holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years! Over the years I have tried to simplify this season. But it would be a shame to lose the specialness of each event between now and January 1, 2011.

When I think of November, I think of all the things I am grateful to have in my life. I am new to blogging, but I have seen several blogs doing something along these lines this year - remembering to be thankful for what you have. I guess I am not original! But I am glad that people take the time to do this. We are all so rich in our blessings.

November 1st - I am thankful for these 3 happy tails. They are waiting at the door for me to return from the grocery store. They love me without reservation! I think that is a dog-thing!! :-) Recently Meathead has been much on our minds. As an epileptic for many years, he has been medicated to control the frequency of the seizures. But the condition continues to grow in frequency, so last week he was started on a new medication that makes him disoriented and clumsy. The vet says it may a take a month for the symptoms to subside. It is hard to watch the seizures, and it is hard to watch his reaction to the new meds. He is such a dear boy. But hopefully this will make a difference after he adjusts. I love these 3 little guys very much. I am so thankful my children shares these wonderful companions with me.
And I am thankful for my two cats - Max and Wally. This picture shows them as kittens in 2006. Getting them in the same picture now is hard. They still get along and play well together. And above all, they get along very well with the dogs - well, they get along very well with Meaty and Grimace. Once Milo gets older and shows some self-control, I am sure peace will abound. But these two little guys are very special to me and my husband. After 42 years of having cats as a part of our lives, we absolutely couldn't do without them. I have already made my whole family promise that someone MUST adopt any pets we have once we are gone. And, of course, Max has special needs, just like Meathead. Max has degenerative kidney disease and we inject fluids under his skin every other day - to help keep him healthy for as long as possible. His prognosis is a shortened lifespan, but we are grateful for every day we have that charming cat with us.



2 comments:

Anita said...

I am sure many readers can identify.
Animals add so much to our lives. They need time, attention, vet care....but they give us so much, just by being here.

Unknown said...

Amen, pets give us so much more than they require of us, pure joy!