Photo Credit: http://www.fastcodesign.com
So walking it is.
It is helpful for me to have a quantitative measure of how active I am. It keeps me honest. It pushes me to do better. My tool for doing that has always been a pedometer. And I have had a bunch of them.
My new favorite pedometer is the Fit Bit Flex - for a lot of reasons.
- The model is worn on the wrist. It only comes off to be charged.
- It tracks just about everything, but steps are my interest. There is, however, no face with numbers - just a small line of 5 lights. I don't miss seeing the numbers at all. If I am curious, I just open my phone, hit the App Icon, the device syncs automatically - and there is my total. In fact, I think I prefer not having those numbers staring at me on the device. It takes the pressure off for achieving a certain number ... but keeps me moving all the same.
- When I reach my goal - for me it is 10,000 steps - the lights flash and the band vibrates. Pretty cool, as well.
- The device is meant to sync to your computer or Smart Phone. This can happen automatically when within a certain range of your computer or phone, or you can manually sync when you log on to your phone or computer. This feature is pretty awesome.
- Step totals do not roll of memory after 7 days like many pedometers. The totals are out there when you want to see them.
- The battery must be recharged every 6 to 7 days.
- The device is water proof - apparently you can even shower with it.
- It can also be set to track the quality of your sleep - a very cool feature.
- Because it syncs to a free website, you can have "friends" and can easily see how they are doing. You can even send messages back and forth.
- And it appears to be very accurate.
There are many features I haven't even touched on - more features I use - but I will say this is the best pedometer that I have ever used. It's a winner.
So, if any of you great folks are already FitBit users and are looking for a new "friend" to help inspire you to walk, please let me know.