Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Thursday, June 21, 2018

A Red One

Lookie-here!!!
  
A red tomato is peaking out!  
Too exciting.

I have named my first red tomato Tomosita! 

She is a beauty! 


I feel just like a mother or something!  Taking pictures, admiring the fact I 'birthed' a tomato!!!  HA!



But I think I need help.
No ... not professional help ... advice!!

Some leaves on the tomato plant are beginning to look sick.


I am seeing more and more of this yellow leaf - and they finally turn brown.  That can't be good.


Here is the back of a leaf that is all yellow and turning brown.  Any ideas of what I should do?



I am getting new growth at the top and the bottom of the plant.  I do not see any little bugs.  Is it too much water, or is it missing some nutriment??

My 19 tomato babies are at risk, people!!  I need to turn this around before too long, I am sure.

HELP!!

Aren't you glad I am not a hobby farmer with an acre of garden!  
I've been told I could make a pet out of anything.  
Apparently 'anything' includes tomatoes.




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where I am tomatoes get something called "summer blight" you might look it up and see if that might be what is wrong with yours....hope not.

ceci

Marie Smith said...

Can’t answer the question, sorry RK. I grow tomatoes too. I’d try the suggestion of Anonymous.

happyone said...

I think some of the leaves just turn yellow after a while. If you're still getting new growth I woudn't worry about it yet. Sometimes yellow means a nitrogen deficiency.

Theresa said...

I try to never name my food, but she sure looks like a Tomosita! :-) I'm hoping you have some nice sharp cheddar cheese and some home made bread. Nothing beats a summer tomato and cheese sandwich and well, a cold beer. ;-)

Retired Knitter said...

Hi Ceci

So I did look it up and this may be summer blight. As long as the tomato does not look impacted they are safe to eat. There was some suggestion on treating the plants, but since this was an experiment - and it is just one tomato plants, I probably will just let whatever happens happen. Next year I plan to do herbs anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

Retired Knitter said...

I thought so too, but we will just wait and see.

Retired Knitter said...

Ha! I won't be naming the others. This first one was just a real surprise!

Retired Knitter said...

Thanks Marie. I did take Ceci's advice.

Michelle said...

Thanks to Theresa, now I'm hungry for a tomato and cheese sandwich!

Priscilla Bettis said...

I don't know enough about growing veggies to offer any helpful advice, but I can say Tomosita is beautiful, congrats!

Retired Knitter said...

Thanks for the over watering advice. I think the tomatoes are still ok, but it has been a damp month here and I think of watering as 'loving' and maybe my watering has been 'killing' which would match my skill with plants. I will back it off.

Retired Knitter said...

I have never done a tomato and cheese sandwich. I am definitely going to give that a try.

Linda said...

I am thrilled you have a tomato! I would definitely remove affected leaves, could be a tomato fungus. That usually affects leaves not tomatoes. Good luck!