Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Saturday, June 23, 2018

What are the odds.

The repair guy for the fridge came yesterday around 4.  He was sure he had the right part this time.  He had spend 30 minutes on the phone with LG explaining the situation.  They assured him this part (the 4th one) was the right one.

He entered my kitchen and pulled the fridge out and then started to unscrew the back panel.  I whispered to my husband, "So far, so good!"

And then there was a whole lot of quiet.

Finally I heard him talking on his phone to his boss ... "Did you get the picture I sent?  Yea, I don't know what to tell you.  I talked with them at length about this."  The conversation went on a bit more.

But I knew - it would not be fixed.  Not now!  Not Ever!

I give BGE Home (our appliance repair vendor) credit.  They tried.  They were so apologetic.  They admitted they could not fix our fridge.  They suggested that if we called LG and have their technician come out - BGE Home would pay the cost of the labor and repair whether or not LG could fix it.  The technician also suggested that when some imports (LG is Korean) change their product line they also stop producing replacement parts for previous models.  Then the parts become impossible to find.  Sounds like us, doesn't it.

We decided to cut our losses.  

A new GE refrigerator will be delivered to us on Wednesday.

Five more days of buying ice every day and eating strangely because I can't really cook.

But the end is coming.
And if when the new unit fails (which with our track record is entirely possible)
 it is American made, so parts are available.

Remember folks,
DO NOT BUY LG!


9 comments:

Theresa said...

Thank you for the warning. I have an LG phone and TV, but you can be sure I won't give them a glance when it comes to appliances. I still miss the old true workhorse Kenmore brand.
You know, Sears gave us a little apartment sized fridge to use while we waited for their delivery two or three days out from our purchase. Our old fridge had died while we were in Italy. Came home to a small flood on the floor, ruined frozen goods and jet lag. DH called and said he was bringing a new fridge home. Imagine my response when he hauled in a dorm fridge. The joke certainly was on me!

Leftycrafter said...

I hope you are not paying for the new fridge! That is crazy. You have been a real trooper through all of it.

Michelle said...

What a saga!

Marie Smith said...

Incredible! Hope you have better luck but at least the parts are available!

Una said...

I'm just catching up with your blog. You have had quite a month! I managed to leave a comment on your earlier blog post and wasn't asked to verify myself. I always moderate comments on my blog. 99.9% are fine. The odd few are not suitable for my blog and I'm glad I stopped them....mostly adverts, and one nasty comment.

Silver in AZ said...

oh well...at least the end of this fiasco is in sight. No LG, No LG, NO LG. (thanks for the tip!)

Paula said...

Maybe it is retaliation from the Koreans! Hoping your new fridge will be perfect!

happyone said...

Hope you have better luck with your new refrigerator.

Priscilla Bettis said...

I did not know that about the LG brand/new models/parts. Thanks for the warning. I'm going to go kiss my refrigerator now.