Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Houston, We have lift off!

... or refrigeration, in my case.



The GE fridge was delivered earlier than promised today which was a plus.  And it will be safe for storing food within 2-4 hours in the fridge and 4-6 hours in the freezer ... faster than I expected.  In fact it is making ice even as we speak.  It does everything the old? previous new one did - with the exception that this newer one actually keeps things cold!   Those are the up sides.

The downside - and there is only one if you overlook the fact I had to buy a second new fridge in such a short time - the downside is that it is not white.  Yes, I know, I am a dinosaur, I like white appliances.  But to get white I would have had to wait an additional 3 weeks (ha!) AND pay full price.  The stainless models were on sale for 4th of July.  So I just accepted the inevitable and bought the stainless.  We will be replacing our stove and microwave in the next 12 months - so they will also be stainless.  And I am told by everyone ... property buyers want stainless appliances.

So what are we doing for dinner tonight??   Delivery pizza.  There is no food in the house now until we shop tomorrow,  HOWEVER, tonight we will be able to refrigerate any leftovers, finally!!

In case I sound too sour grapes about the color, I am not.  The fridge has been here for about 3 hours - the stainless is starting to grow on me!  See ... you can teach an old dog new tricks!

And now this saga is OVER!  And the elevator in my building is repaired and working!!  And I have gotten no spam since changing up my blog!!!  AND lastly, I am getting better.  While all these things were going on I got sick with a fairly substantial chest and head cold, that I think I got from my darling little grand daughter.  She had a cold on my last visit and I cuddled her for about 4 hours.  You know how this goes ... child gets a cough - last a few days - grandmother catches the same bug - but going on 8 days and will linger for at least that much longer.  No problem.  The cuddle session was worth it.  Soon as I am well, I'll be back for more.

Things are looking up!!


10 comments:

Theresa said...

I'm with you, I love my white appliances. Hooray for a working fridge though and pizza delivery! :-)

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, moving away from white now. :-( But I did notice that the counter tops are gray and the nobs on the cabinet doors are actually silver - stuff the previous owners picked out. So it is not as jarring as I feared it would be. The fridge fits in fine. And my husband, who is blinded by too much light and all white stuff - may have it a little easier when we finally switch over to all stainless in the kitchen.

How is that for looking for the sunny side of things? :-)

Marie Smith said...

I am glad everything is working out for you finally RK. I caught a cold from the grandkids and it lasted six weeks for me, they had it a week.

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, my sister, who is about 6 months ahead of me in this grandmother thing, said the same thing. Kid goes, cough, cough, for 2 days and the grandparents are sick for 2 weeks - well in your case - 6 weeks! Yikes.

Michelle said...

So glad THAT trial is over!

Retired Knitter said...

Haha! Me too.

Paula said...

I love my white appliances too. Don't show those pesky fingerprints. Did you get any kind of refund on the old, not so old, refrigerator??

Retired Knitter said...

No. The previous fridge was purchased from Lowes. We refused extended coverage at the time of purchase - because we had complete coverage already with BGE Home for all the appliances - and any manufacturer warrantee would have expired after 12 months. We were 19 months out. We never thought we would be hit with a repair that couldn't be fixed. If we had taken the repair coverage from Lowes, they would have had the same problems getting the part. But maybe we would have had some recourse on a rebate or something. This time we bought from Bray and Scarf - an appliance dealer in our area, and we purchased 3 year coverage - which covers the unit, parts, labor, food spoilage, and more. Lesson learned.

Paula said...

Who ever heard of a fridge only lasting 19 months. I had my last one for 20 years!!

Retired Knitter said...

The problem is (latest info), in the US vendors are required by law to continuing manufacturing parts for discontinued appliances for 10 years. Korea doesn't do that. Parts for my 19 month old fridge were impossible to find. Buy American!!