Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, April 1, 2019

A - About


 A is for About


Hello!
Welcome new and returning visitors to
My Next 20 Years of Living Blog!  

It is day one of the A-to-Z Challenge - where participants publish a series of blog posts following the order of the alphabet during the days of April (except for Sundays.)  Today bloggers post using the letter A as a guide.

At the risk of being unimaginative ... I have chosen the word About for the letter A - a bit About me and a bit About the theme of my posts for the month of April.  A brief introduction of sorts.

ABOUT ME!

Retired Knitter is my blog name, but regular readers know me as Elaine.  This blog you are 'standing' in was born in 2009 - and it truly felt like a 'birth,' because it was created during a time of exhausting caregiving 'labor' for my mom.  It is a journal-type blog where I share interests, observations, wonderings (from over- thinking stuff), my time as a care giver, and just about anything that settles in my brain and won't let go!


I am a senior citizen, a wife (50 years this June - Yikes), a parent, a new grandmother, a knitter, a reader, a thinker, a TV series binge watcher, and a lover of living.  You are visiting my online home - a place where I visit with friends and where I try to return the favor by visiting their blog homes - and we chat!  Almost like the pen pals of old, we get to know each other.

ABOUT THE THEME

I have chosen Retirement - and its companion topic - Aging.

I find satisfaction and gratitude at reaching this later stage of life.  Despite the negative impressions our culture gives to getting older, aging and retirement are 'gifts.'  It is like completing the full circle of life.  Sadly some never experience those gifts.  My posts will be my story and some of my mom's story.  My thoughts, observations, opinions, and experiences.  I am no authority.  I can give no advice.  I know that each person's aging and retirement experience is different.  .

I won't cover every possible retirement and aging topic in the challenge - just the ones that are important to me and I can speak from my personal experience.  I started this aging journey with my mom as her caregiver.  I became her voice, her 'warrior/protector,' and her constant companion as she moved through her last years of life with dementia until her death.  Now I am walking a similar path (without the dementia I sincerely hope) and I am pleased if you want to come along this month with me - no matter your age.

I have a perspective to share.


Followers of all ages are welcome.
  For the young, it may be your future if you are lucky.  
For the not so young, it may be your present.

Thank you for stopping here.


Elaine
Retired Knitter.





16 comments:

Alana said...

I'm happy to meet you again, Retired Knitter. I crochet, my recent caregiving journey (mother in law) ended in November, Ive been married 44 years,and I'm close to retirement. I'll be visiting from time to time. I hope you enjoy some of my photos - I have many to share.

Leftycrafter said...

Elaine, I am looking forward to your month of posting. Being retired and also being a care giver (part time) to my mom until her passing 15 months ago, I feel a tiny connection here.

Angela said...

I too like tv series, specially British. I don't knit but crochet. Glad to see that you're enjoying retirement. Great to learn a bit about you. Have a great week.

Wendy said...

Nice opener. I can knit and crochet but don't do as much as I'd like. I've also been through the journey of caregiver to my Mum through dementia although she spent her last few years in a nursing home. It was too impractical to have her at home. I can't boast 50 years married yet but we get to 35 in June. You're more organised than me with your posts. I have just over half scheduled but I'm not panicking - yet! lol

A :-) said...

Looking forward to your month of special, focused posts. I'm not a caregiver - my mom is gone 15 years next month and she got sick and was gone in eight weeks (which brought its own share of challenges and pain). Retirement, however, is closer rather than farther.

Barb said...

Looking forward to seeing your posts on aging. Not a caregiver though I was ten years ago during hubbies interests, love knitting (among too many other hobbies to list). About to start binging on White dragon as we speak. I so admire you for being able to come up with 26 posts in advance, I keep saying that I will do a blog posting schedule but never get there.

Beth Lapin said...

Sounds like a great theme! I'm there myself.

Beth
https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

Lael said...

Hi Elaine. It's lovely to meet you. I'm also a knitter and Grandmother. I also chose About Me as my topic for today. Twinsies! Oh! I jumped ahead, ha ha. My name is Lael :)
I'm really looking forward to your theme this month. As a Death Doula in training, I'm very death positive and one can't be death positive without being age positive! Your thoughts about growing older being a gift have resonated with me <3

Susan Scott said...

Hi Elaine, lovely to come by your post! The comments are interesting too and I look forward to posts throughout this crazy month of A-Z

Marie Smith said...

I am looking forward to this month with you, Elaine.

happyone said...

A great start to your challenge this month. I am happy to know you both as a blogger friend and someone who I know in person.

Lynne said...

I saw your Baloney first and now I am here at your (A) beginning.
Looking forward to the month . . .

Kai said...

Hi there :)
I'm a knitter too, and I'm interested to see your take on the topic you're covering. Nice to meet you.

I'm writing about my books and the universes I've got planned. It's gonna be fun :) Knitting may feature though!

Kai

netablogs said...

I'm looking forward to getting to know you! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Susan said...

Topics near and dear to my heart - retirement and aging. I'm looking forward to your daily (OMG, how do you do it?) posts!

Cat said...

Looking forward to the blogging!!
Cat