Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Monday, November 15, 2021

A Sunrise Reserved For One

 I know that no one “owns” the sunrise, but there should be some rules or a reservation system or  something for viewing.

Let me back track.

My last morning at the ocean I was the first one up (thank you legs!).  


I walked out to the balcony and looked behind me.
  Still dark.  Roads were quiet!  No one was about. 
Perfect.  

Looking east I could see the start of a beautiful morning with just me and the ocean and the sun.
 I settled in with my camera phone and my coffee
 to enjoy the beauty of nature
 on this last day of my trip to the ocean.
I had just these few last hours of my long weekend away from home.  
I wanted to make the best of them.


And from the looks of the horizon I didn’t have long to wait.  

There she was, the sun peeking just above the horizon.
And the ocean giving me a gentle wave - to tell me the best was yet to come.  



I was ready!

And then I heard it!!  



 Running feet from behind me.   This lady was running down the street with her camera held up high in the air in front of her trying to catch the sunrise.  Seriously ... running with a camera held in front of her!!  As she passed me her feet were loudly slapping the pavement and she was totally unaware I was watching her - because her eyes were not focused on her surroundings but focused entirely on her camera!!!  You can even see the brightness of the sun reflected through her lens.  AND standing between me and the ocean and the sunrise, no less!

This was just like butting in line!  How rude. It shouldn’t be allowed!!


And then I immediately chastised myself for my unkind selfish thoughts.   
 So I re-adjusted my camera so that
it seemed as if I was the only one capturing the moment.  Just me, the ocean and my camera!


Out of nowhere, the woman and her dog casually wandered into my picture frame.  
On “little cat feet” she was (except she had a dog)!  
Dang!!  Dang!! Dang!! (Deep breath ... be calm.)

Ok, she has a dog.
And at least she was quiet - not pounding her feet down the street.
   Be kind.  Pet people are good people.
Just get over yourself, I kept saying.


I readjusted my camera again!  *sigh* And again, just me and the ocean and the sunrise
(and these “almost late-to-the-party” folks.)
  
 Just look at that sunrise and the beauty of the colors 
reflected on the waters. Like a beautiful painting.  


You have GOT to be kidding me!!
 I looked to my left and I saw MORE PEOPLE!!
 
Hey, guys, this has happened every single morning since the beginning of time!!!!!
Go home, please.
  

Back through my lens again - things were not getting better! No beach space without people.

CARS!!
They were now pulling up in cars!
I checked the street behind this guy to see if buses were lining up!!!!!


More new folks. And you will notice, now I am taking pictures of THEM and not the sunrise!!!

Focus, focus!


My last picture, with the sun light pouring down between the clouds
and the ocean taking a bow with the lovely splash of a wave.
AND NO PEOPLE.


Ok, this is my last picture! The rays of sun, just needed to take this last picture.
  
I knew it was mean of me not to want to share this beautiful event that happens every single morning since the beginning of recorded time (and before.) 

But, seriously, next time I am going to put up a sign at the end of the entrance to 94th Street - 

stop
Private Showing!
Only One Reservation Accepted
This sunrise is booked!
Try again tomorrow.

Signed
The Atlantic Ocean!

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Lol. Sunrise sure did attract a crowd. It is so good to see people stop and appreciate the beauty! Great photos.

happyone said...

So very beautiful. When I see a sunrise I always think it is God saying Good Morning to me. :)

Helen said...

lol, I know you wanted to get your shot and enjoy, but aren't you glad there are other like minded people who also enjoy sunrises and made time in their day to get to a spot where they could enjoy it? Tomorrow will be even better!

Michelle said...

I loved your story!

A :-) said...

That seventh photo is just gorgeous!!