Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Saturday, November 6, 2021

Part 1: Art Show at the Beach!

Over its history Ocean City has matured from a lazy beach focused vacation spot to a year round destination for visitors. The large and hard-to-miss Convention Center always has something scheduled but tucked away in a bayside neighborhood close enough for us to walk to is this Arts Center! I've passed this building on past previous walks never guessing what wonderful things it contained. The rest of this post will be told with pictures.
In the main hall was this dress made entirely of chain links. 


View from the back.

A side view.  Zipper!





A matching hat - as if the weight of the dress alone wasn’t enough.

Beautiful stone work on the chest!

Beautiful bead work dangling from the hem.

Picture proof, the dress can be worn. (haha) if you look carefully you can see my hand and phone taking reflected in the glass.  Missed that!

This was the first and most impressive display of the art for me. Unusual materials, flattering dress design, interesting small details.  My son, who is into gaming, had made a simple chain link shirt for himself.  I forwarded THESE pictures to his wife - “This is what he should make for you.”  


One final picture of the braided chains that ran down each side.  I just couldn’t get enough of this dress. Setting aside the fact it was all metal, the design features on the dress are so flattering to the female form.

Onward ...

A “Tree Trunk” Coat!


Stepping back for the full effect.




From the back!

Up close picture of the fabric and stitching.  Looks like print out of a book.  Kind of an interesting feature since books are made from paper which comes from trees.

Proof again that it can be worn. The materials listed  for this coat were:  fabric, paper, wood, vinyl.

This is truly wearable art.  Art that is stepping outside the box of traditional definitions of “art.”  I loved it!! Beautifully created and stunningly displayed.  There was no fee to enter this art show but I would have paid to view these beautiful and imaginative garments. 

All the items in the show were priced for sale.  The metal dress was priced at $5,000.  The tree trunk coat was priced at $6,000.  While I am not an art collector - if I had the right setting in my home to displays these items, I would pay the price to own them.  

Next time:  Part 2 - Everything else in the Art Show

5 comments:

Leigh said...

Extremely interesting. The chain link dress is quite exquisite. Harkens back to the says when chain mail was worn for battle dress. I think I would enjoy the sound the dress makes as the wearer moved and walked about. Very fun!

Leftycrafter said...

Fascinating. The first thing that went through my mind when I saw the dress was how much it weighed.

Cynthia said...

Interesting apparel and it’s good to know it can be worn. But … where??!!

Marie Smith said...

I lingered over these photos. Wearable art for sure. Unique and beautiful! The chain dress must be heavy!

A :-) said...

Very cool stuff! I've seen vendors at the Renaissance Faire in Wisconsin who sell chain mail items.