Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, November 2, 2021

The View ... Peace.

The ocean is a peaceful place for me.  It is constant, it has a rhythm, it can be quiet and it can be loud.  And sometimes it can be fierce! Gratefully I have only seen its fierce face on TV.  Being this close to the ocean when it is in a bad mood is not an adventure I seek out.  But on this weekend, the ocean was quiet and mostly at rest.

Nothing graces my eye and mind as the ocean, the sand, and the birds  ... elements in harmony along the continent's edge. Even with eyes closed, the sounds have a slow steady beat punctuated by intermittent bird cries. In the off seasons of fall and winter, the lack of human sound at shore line is like music.   Sadly, I get to visit seldom. But thankfully the ocean changes little from visit to visit.

The view my first morning from the deck.


 
It is all in this picture taken the first morning there.  All my favorite things. The ocean, small waves, the dune, my coffee, my knitting, and the sunrise with reflection on the water.

I am an early riser generally.  Not by choice, but because my legs get irritable in the morning and I have to move or sometimes just get the heck out of bed!  So it was that morning.  And for a change my legs did me a favor.  Because I was up early before everyone else, I didn’t miss this beautiful sunrise image.

At a later time I captured these shots.







Unlike my walks at home that usually are done with my husband, I get the greatest pleasure walking alone, especially on the beach.  I don’t enjoy walking on soft sand, so on my own I am free to stop when I choose, to take pictures of something that catches my eye, to just stand and take in the glory of the ocean or watch the sea birds as they putter around on the sand.  Lately I have been in some turmoil and it was wonderful to just empty my mind out onto the shore line and let the ocean take it all away for a short time. 

I did cut over to the side walk along Ocean Highway for a bit to get my heart rate up and circulate the blood.  The view there is not much different than any other city, but it easier to walk when you have a temperamental left knee that doesn’t appreciate uneven surfaces.


But the beach walk was just for me, the birds and the ocean.


Next up: The Art Center


11 comments:

Michelle said...

Your sentiments about the beach/coast/ocean echo my own. I don't live as far so probably get to go more often, but not as often as I wish! Lovely photos. I usually walk along the water line where the sand is firm.

Leftycrafter said...

What a serene scene. You with your ocean is me with mountains. I totally get it.

Marie Smith said...

My relaxation visualization is a walk on the beach, with the sights and sounds you describe. Heaven! Enjoy every minute!

Cynthia said...

Sunrise over a steaming cup of coffee … PERFECT!

happyone said...

That morning sky is absolutely gorgeous.

Leigh said...

I just love the colors of the sand, sky, and sea. They would make a lovely combination for a sweater!

Lynne said...

Beach . . .
I appreciated reflecting with you . . .

Chloe said...

These are wonderful posts. I love the ocean too, and used to leave near it. Now I'm closer to the mountains and find them quite comforting, although the ocean will always be my favorite. A cup of coffee always goes well with both.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post—-both pictures and words!!! Renita in NC

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Peaceful early morning looking at the beach while enjoying a cup of coffee sounds like a great start to the day!

A :-) said...

Being near the water is balm for the spirit for sure. Whenever I have the chance to be near the shore, I leave baggage for the waves to take out to sea, and receive blessings returned on the incoming tide. The balance of the ocean - in and out, in and out - is the best meditation. While I am jealous that I'm not recovering by the shore, I love that you have this opportunity to retreat/get away and nurture your spirit. :-)