Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Gaslighting with Pizza Cutters

This morning I was busily cleaning up the kitchen, hand washing a few dishes, emptying the dishwasher and drying some items that had collected in my dish drain.  And then the oddest thing happened. 

I casually looked down at the towel in my hand and the 2 items just dried to determine the drawer they should go in and discovered there were 2 pizza cutters.  Two.  I own one.  Only one.  I stood there in the middle of my kitchen looking at these 2 pizza cutters.  While my body was still, my brain was bouncing around in my skull searching in my memory banks trying to explain 2 instead of 1.

Nothing.  


I quickly texted my daughter-in-law, sure she was missing a pizza cutter.  Logic, of course, didn’t enter into this action because even though she was here several times - why would she have carried a pizza cutter into my home.  No matter.  I texted. God knows what she was thinking when she read my message. Nope!  She has her pizza cutter. Nuts! 

I circled back into my brain for another reason.  

No one visited with a pizza cutter ... I don’t think.  No one of my social circle carries a pizza cutter in their purse or in their back pocket and besides - would you admit something like that?  I wonder if pizza cutters are on the “no fly list” for airports!  ðŸ¤£ I am going to bet they have seen everything.  But visiting my condo with one.  Not likely.   

Could the former owner of the condo accidentally left this pizza cutter behind and I am just finding it now - 5 years later?  Ha!  Only a desperate brain would accept that as a possibility.

It is possible, I suppose, that I misplaced pizza cutter #1 and then went out and bought pizza cutter #2 and just today #1 pops up ...  Nope!   I have no memory of doing such thing and to consider the possibility that I may have completely blacked out on a trip to the store to buy pizza cutter #2 ... well I am not ready to go with that yet.

Is someone gas lighting me?
 I sure hope so!   

So I am going with that - 
no matter how paranoid it sounds
 because all other options have ramifications I am not prepared to accept. 

The opposite problem and I are 'good friends.'   Items ‘hiding’ in plain sight ...  sometimes on the bridge of my nose, on top of my head or right in my hand or right where they should be and I look right past them.  Yes, I know that problem well! 

But I don’t have room in my life for another “good friend” unless that good friend is causing extra $100 to show up in my hand that I didn’t know I had.  

But an extra pizza cutter ... !!

 


7 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Lol.I am as you describe, looking for glasses which are on my head. I will watch for that extra pizza cutter though.

happyone said...

That is a mystery that I hope you solve because now you've got me wondering too. Let us know WHEN you figure it out! :)

Angela said...

The fact that you had TWO to dry up at the same time suggests you recently had two pizzas, and used A for the first, then got B out to cut the second. But why did you not notice theat A was waiting to be washed up? WQere these pizzas from your freezer, or bought in? if bought in, was the company adding a feee pizza cutter as a Christmas gift? [does one look newer than the other? or a cheap freebie?] what a mystery!

Becki said...

What a puzzle. I'm sorry to laugh at your mystery, but your telling it was a hoot. You'd better remember to come back and tell us what the answer to this puzzle is if you figure it out. 😉

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a fun post to read and please do let us know if and when the "mystery" is solved. I know what you mean about things often hiding in plain sight too as it happens to me as well. Thanks for the recent visit and comment on my blog post about Dickens. It was indeed a great presentation.

Leigh said...

Ha! Glad to know I'm not the only one with mysteries like this. :)

A :-) said...

I'm guessing you must have had two and forgotten about one of them. I occasionally clear out the kitchen drawers - it's amazing the stuff I find :-D