Mark Twain

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do ...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

The Last Minute Granddaughter Blanket

 Here is my first update on a blanket I decided to start on November 13 (November of this year - not last year) as a gift for my grand daughter. The first pictures are November pictures.




The following pictures are from 2 days ago - early December.  It is a pattern that has grown on me the longer I work on it.  The lacy hearts are subtle - not easily seen up close while working on it.



Even when I spread out one heart on my lap, like in this blue stripe, I think - I can’t really see the full structure of one lace heart.


In almost every close up view of my work - as I crochet - the pattern seems lost.


But stretched out like so below, it is easy to see how cute it is.  And the more I do on this pattern,
the more I think about doing a second blanket as some point - maybe one for me.


In the picture below the blanket is extended it full length on a queen size bed.  It will be larger than I thought using the colors I wanted and the size of the stripes.  


The pink stripe is the center of the blanket and at present is about double the width seen in this picture. Pink will be the widest stripe.  As of today, I am about 3 rows into the decreases - meaning I am working on the second half of this blanket now.  And with each row the rows get shorter now.  

I am so glad I decided to crochet this blanket instead of knitting it.  If I was to have any chance of finishing this blanket for Christmas I needed to crochet instead of knit since knitting is so much slower.  And I have really enjoyed making this blanket - the change of the colors, the completion of each row of hearts, the growth in size - all added to the enjoyment.

The real question is will this blanket be done by December 24?  Unlikely.  Once the blanket is complete, I still have a border that is about 2-3 inches wide to complete.  But it should be done by the New Year for sure.   

8 comments:

A :-) said...

This is coming along beautifully! You never know, you might make it by Christmas Eve - crochet really is faster than knitting, and you're on the downhill side now :-)

Marie Smith said...

It is gorgeous, the colours, the hearts. Your granddaughter will treasure it for many years!

Michelle said...

It's HUGE! I'll bet that's a blanket she'll use for a long time, maybe take to college with her – and always remember that it came from her beloved grandmother.

Angela said...

Gorgeous strips!

Helen said...

I'm with A, you're on the downhill side and shorter rows go faster, even if there is a border and does the border have to be 2-3 inches? Could it just be a row or two? She will love it.

happyone said...

That is beautiful!!! Love the hearts in it and the colors are so pretty.

Cynthia said...

I love the pattern. And the colors!

Wendy said...

It's going to be beautiful when it's finished and huge! It certainly was an ambitious project to start for Christmas but I'm sure you will have it finished by then or if not soon after. Love the colours and the hearts.